GoKunming Forums

Renting a car to see Yunnan independently

yogaden (7 posts) • 0

I'll be in Kunming Oct 28 or 29 and want to spend 2 weeks traveling around the Yunnan. I'm thinking of getting a Chinese driver's license and renting a car. Am I crazy? I want to visit the red earth lands around Dongchuan then head toward Shangri-la. I'd like to do some hiking around Tiger Leaping Gorge. I'm very open to suggestions. I'm female 59 yrs old from Alaska and do a lot of hiking and biking. Thanks

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Getting a licence may take a few days, or longer. You need to book and pass a test, held on Thursday only in English language.

It may be better to rent a car and driver. This takes out a lot of the risk of driving in an insane road culture, and gives you local knowledge.

There is a guy who advertises on here who speaks English. Do a search and it should come up. He may even respond on this thread.

yogaden (7 posts) • 0

I've read that there are services in Beijing to get a license. I'll be there several days. I'm sure it would be better to get a car and driver, but wouldn't it be a lot more expensive to pay for a driver plus his room and board? I don't have much of an agenda and expect to spend a certain amount of time getting lost. I've also thought it might be possible to meet and share with other travelers. Except for Dongchuan I guess I could do buses instead. Any thoughts? Thanks Louanne

I would check out the link that Alex posted and contact the guy. It may not be as expensive as you think. When we hired a driver he asked a small amount of money for accommodation and then he slept in the car.

If you are going touring, and time is limited the bus is an option but the train might be much better. But if you can't take a train, avoid the 'bus-tour' outfits and use the long distance coaches. With tour groups, you will be taken to places you don't want to go to sell you overpriced stuff you don't want.

If you are going to use buses consider using a tour guide, unless you are a very well seasoned traveller. There are students in Kunming who do this for the trip, and the chance to practice their English. Most would only expect food and accommodation (same as yours).

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

It's highly unlikely there are legitimate outfits in Beijing that can provide you a valid driving license for China. Of course, this being China, they might be able to provide you a valid license using some illegit means. However, that comes at a price and risk should the license turn out not to be official. That money would be better spent on a driver for such a short trip.

Getting a valid license via the traditional transfer/paperwork/exam method will consume more time than 2 weeks allow.

There are flights to Lijiang, and you could use that as a jumping off point for Tiger and Shangrila via buses.

That being said, one of the best drives in Yunnan would be the eastern ring road from the east Tiger entrance to Shangrila, and buses don't take that route.

The first time we went form Lijiang to Shangrila the highway was closed due to landslides and we had to take the old more scenic route over the mountains. If this is the route that Alex is talking about, I can confirm that there is fantastic scenery.

yogaden (7 posts) • 0

Thanks everyone. HFCampo, Yes I know that Dongchuan is northern and I would have to go back through Kunming to go to Lijiang and Shangri-la. Sounds like I should give up the thought of driving and perhaps skip Dongchuan and take the train to Lijiang.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Ha...it's not that complicated. As long as you can prepare for your driver license exam before you arrive and do some practice tests so that you will pass the first time around when you do the exam on a Thursday in Kunming, you'll be OK. I believe a temporary Chinese driver's license can also be obtained at Beijing Capital Airport on arrival quite legitimately, but why not go for the full driver's license from Kunming?

I have a Chinese driver's license and while I didn't pass the first time round, I did pass once I studied the manual in sufficient detail (my previous attempts helped me to score 89 and 86, just short of the passing grade of 90) - this was due to a lack of study and nothing else. BTW you have two attempts to pass during any one session.

Driving in China ain't easy, but certainly easier than in many other developing countries, particularly out on the expressways. It's a nice and easy way of getting around, although you'll have to factor in fuel costs, toll fees and possibly parking fees as well as car rental expenses if you're renting. Still, if split between a few people it can be remarkably affordable and a great way to see the country.

In short: do a search for the .pdf or word version of the Chinese driver's license manual on this site or google it and then go for your license once you're in China. If you pass, you'll receive your license the same day and it will be valid for 6 years - make sure you go at least a day before the test to register with all your documents and a Chinese speaker if you don't speak Chinese sufficiently to go yourself.

Related forum threads

Login to post