GoKunming Forums

Laowai in Beijing trys to rape girl...

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Well dazzer, that's because they're racist. Only racist and ignorant people would not want their children to marry "outside the race".

Besides even in this day and age, foreigners are still exotic in China and until China overtakes the USA in per-capita income, a foreigner is still a potential ticket to a good comfortable life in a foreign country for a Chinese person.

Also, I remember a story about how one Swiss man married a Thai girl in a village in the north-eastern part of Thailand (Isan). Within only a short time, about 20 other girls from that town also married Swiss men. I personally don't see any reason why this can't also happen in China.

Only difference is...foreigners don't like travelling to China because it's not considered "cool" or "fun" and there is a perception that no one speaks English in China. That's why all the backpackers are livin' it up in Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. and very few of them travel to China.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Going back to the video. Rape is about control and power. Clearly this person was trying to overpower this woman. Men from all races have done this and will continue to do it. It's disgusting no matter where it happens. There are plenty are 'ladies of the evening' that one can go to if one needs 'release'. These kinds of action puts a stain on those of us who follow the rules and law of China and any other country we happen to be in.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Again, it is not rape. I am not being an apologist here. Using words like 'rape' inappropriately is not helpful.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Actually it was and is in this case. Apparently this guy has done it several times. I just finish watching the news talking about this guy.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

All the reports 'in this case', that I have seen, refer to 'indecent assault'.

I would be interested to see any different reports. Please show us.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

I do not feel stained, neither do I feel obliged to become a sycophantic apologist over an alleged crime involving someone I have never met simply because that person is not Chinese. The concept is bizarre and sets a worrying precedent.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Looks like everyones Friday night end of the week rage venting dreams have come true!

No ones apologising nnoble, not sure why you are claiming they are. I also said Gaoxing was "chasing tail", which he was/is by his own admission. At no point did I accuse him of rape.

Dazzer, the important point I believe is the attempt. Thank god he wasn't successful, but on another day he might have been. This bad behaviour reflects badly on lao wai in China because we are stereotyped into one group by many Chinese. Again, unfortunate, but true.

Harriis, who castigates only foreigners? We can (and by the looks of the responses here) castigate anyone we want. No one stated we were castigating only foreigners, I came the closest by saying that when foreigners did something bad, it unfortunately is bad for all of us as the responses to the video show we are all one big group according to many Chinese. As such we should discourage any behaviour of that type in the extreme to other foreigners... to make living in China as easy as possible for us as lao wai. I will castigate anyone however that attempts rape, no matter colour/creed/religion or hairstyle.

Thanks roberto's friend, I think my girlfriends family are slowly understanding, but takes time to bring down years of misunderstanding/ignorance/prejudice. The interesting thing is my girlfriend says here family are very forward thinking and not conservative! There must be some seriously bad impressions out there of foreigners...

Rik, I think we agree in principle on everything except how to change the opinions of stereotyping Chinese people who group lao wai into one group. I think using a collective approach would work best in China (hence my desire to see fellow lao wai pour scorn on the guys actions hopefully making future lao wai visitors to China with a similar attitude think twice), if you believe another way will work, that is your choice. The other thing - please stop misquoting me. Twice you have said "And if they are, you should put them in their place, not apologize or call for harsher punishments for non Chinese." I did not apologize or call for harsher punishments for non Chinese. Putting words in my mouth makes you look silly as it spawns comments on statements that were never made (nnoble's) and makes the argument more extreme and hence opinion more polarised.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

@ blobbles: ' I will castigate anyone however that attempts rape, no matter colour/creed/religion or hairstyle'

I missed the millions of other 'castigations' and only spotted this one, thereby believing you were making this an issue because of the race of the alleged suspect. And that I would have found problematic and potentially dangerous.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Geez, some of these responses are starting to sound like every foreigner is playing up the "us" vs. "them" mentality in relation to the local Chinese. The reality is, for most Chinese around us, few of them have had much contact with foreigners and probably only in recent years have ever even seen a foreigner and therefore I doubt any would have some kind of pre-conceived negative notion of an otherwise well behaved, law abiding foreigner. The younger generation in particular, is far more accepting of foreigners than the older generation is as you can imagine. Not only are they more accepting, but they want to meet us and become friends with us!!

I have met some of the nicest, most generous people in the world in China and while sometimes it feels a bit weird, I don't go home deliberating as to why some kids screamed "hello" when I walked past (they did so cause they thought it was funny, no other reason) this despite it being very annoying for us. If you were to teach these kids that screaming "hello" is neither amusing nor respectful, then I'm sure they'd stop, after all, Chinese kids are very respectful. Similarly, the number of times I've shared a meal or a few drinks with a hospitable Chinese family who've always paid more than makes up for the annoying comments about how westerners have bigger noses and different colored hair from the locals (which is about as annoying as it gets for me, everything else is a piece of cake). Again, it's because of these differences that we get noticed in the first place.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I am sorry for what the poor girl had to go through and hope that she will be fine.

Good she is Asian, coz when I was attacked nobody ever helped me.

All the "five" times that has happened actually people just joined in, because they thought I must have started a new opium war, killed a Chinese or despite my white face thought I was a Japanese soldier deployed in Nanjing, to deserve a beating like that.

So beating up a foreigner, doesn't need a reason thanks to powerful propaganda.
Actually my girlfriend at that time and witness of at least two of those attacks, told me later that they have a Blog in Beijing where you can meet up to mash up Laowai's.
I have no problem with justified violence helping in an emergency or selfdefence but here, I am sorry to say, it ALWAYS and severely goes beyond justification.

I have extensive martial art and military training, and I never was a coward but HERE the only defensive move for me is to run to keep this "beautiful" culture more harmonious and myself alive.
Hope the rapist will survive to see a proper judge, rot in prison and the girl will get over the shock. And mostly for the people here to grow up and learn to fix problems using solutions other than violence even when catching a criminal, disregarding nationality as said by other bloggers a laowai attempting to rape a girl is as bad as a Chinese or any other, trying to do so.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.