GoKunming Forums

Is it possible to report someone for sexual harassment?

NoeyLan (2 posts) • 0

Title says it all. Chinese female friend of mine is borderline physically harassed (answers.echinacities.com/[...] by a 30 year old foreign perv at her university (repeat offender) who asks to "lift her up" and she's too scared to do anything about, fearing the consequences. It's a problem because I don't work at that university, so as an outsider doesn't seem like there's a lot I can do...

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Yes, I quasi-think she should quasi-definitely quasi-report the quasi-guy for quasi-molesting her.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

As a developing country, there isn't a level of awareness for these types of issues simply because they have much more pressing problems like corruption, silencing dissent, and sticking it to the West. They've just recently started to raise awareness against drunk driving for heaven's sake.

Without knowing the power dynamics and the exact relationship between your friend and the foreigner, there are 2 courses of action. First, report him to the University or his employer. They won't confront him at first but if there are enough complaints for if the complaints are serious enough than they won't renew their contract for the next year. However, I don't foresee them terminating him beforehand. The recourse is for her to confront him herself, either alone or with an angry boyfriend or mob of pissed-off friends. Do not rely on legal remedy as they simply aren't designed to handle such matters. One last-ditch effort would be if there are enough victims, contact the local media to see if they are willing to pick-up on the story and pressure the school to do something.

Best of luck!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Another she can do is post a link to his picture so we can all see who this perv is.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

First, she needs to have a secondary witness who was present during at least one but preferably multiple altercations. Two - since she has foreign friends (noeylan), confront the offender directly. If the behavior continues, simply report him/her to the school and threaten to escalate to the police if the student is not properly counseled and or disciplined. China has laws about public nuisances and this is simply uncool behavior and DEFINITELY falls within the police's ability to rescind a study visa and deport the offender.

On the other hand - men tend to be thick skulled and don't take hints terribly well. So a direct confrontation with another foreigner in a POLITE but mutually respectful manner (aka non-confrontational) should suffice for most social retards.

Finally - be prepared for violence. I hesitate to say this - but it should be said as a worst case scenario could ensue if not handled properly or the perv is also insane.

123go (145 posts) • 0

No doubt, Ues Chin Na(Qinna) Martial Arts. Don't give this kind of people any chance to do the sexual harassment. Agree with "laotou", Let the third party see with the first eyes.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Not trying to take the guy's side here but has it been clearly pointed out to him that she doesn't want that? As Laotou says, we men can be a bit thick sculled and if he just thinks it's all fun and games and she hasn't told him 'no', then I'm inclined to think she should take a stand before involving other people, foreigners or the police (this is exactly what the police would say btw). You mentioned yourself that she's 'too afraid' to say no but that's what she should do first of all. Maybe bring a girlfriend and explain to him that it's not acceptable and she doesn't like it. She can refer to losing face and that Chinese people feel it's embarrassing to be lifted up (which is true) to ease the situation. If he doesn't get the hint and this stuff continues, then she should pursue other -less comfy- options for sure.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Am I missing something?

The original post did not say the "30 year old foreign perv" was male. Actually, there is nothing to indicate the gender of the "perv." In fact, the noun "pervert" is also genderless. My dictionary: pervert, n, "One who practices sexual perversion."

There is only "borderline physical harassment" mentioned. Only a vague "lift her up" is mentioned.

So my 二毛 is: Tell the Christian chick to go away and bother someone else.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

by a 30 year old foreign perv at her university (repeat offender) who asks to "lift her up"

I'm sure it wouldn't be a 'female' lifting her up.

DAY DREAMER (24 posts) • 0

The girl need learn to say NO. If she is considering filing a report for what he did it doesn't make sense that she is worried turning him down because reporting is going to do more damage to this guy. Make it clear that she doesn't want to be lifted up. If the perv doesn't stop then consider taking to the authority.

Related forum threads

Login to post