GoKunming Forums

Water Rationing

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Ludwig is right, it takes weeks of consistent rain to raise the water table, and it does not need to be that heavy. Heavy rainfall just leads to run off, and this can lead to flooding and swollen rivers (water heads towards the sea at high speed), but doesn't significantly raise water levels in the big reservoirs.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

I was hoping the recent rains might have helped, but it sounds like the problem was too serious for such an easy fix.

I live near Huancheng Donglu 环城东路 and Renming Donglu 人民东路 in an old building (fourth floor flat.) We have had a decrease in water pressure but no actual interruptions of delivery.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I live out Dianchi Lu. I have water 24/7 with no problems. But since most govt buildings are located here, they will never ration in my area.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@ludwig
Depressing to think we may have many more months of this to come. Moving is no easy option as we (my Chinese wife and I) own the current building.

@bucko
Can I use your shower? ;-)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Bucko
I live in the Dianchi Lu area, and I am guessing you are in low rise accommodation. As such we won't notice a drop in water pressure. I am also guessing that areas with more modern infrastructure will not suffer from some of the problems of water supply that older areas of the city might.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

For the last month or so I've had zero water in the morning, low pressure water in the late afternoon, and (if lucky) regular pressure water in the evening.

I have a flash water heater which requires regular pressure to activate the heating mechanism, so with low pressure although I have cold water, there's no hot water.

I live in an old apartment complex.

My friends in new high rises don't have any problems with their water at all.

Is this the government favoring the rich and discriminating against the poor and middle class? Or is this more because of the physical infrastructure?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Water has been pretty steady at my place, near Beichen Lu.

When they were were trying to cut electricity use 10%, my apartment just turned off the power for a few days each month. Usually it was for a day, but it was off for four days to makeup I guess. Water was also off along with the power.

I feel for you guys without reliable water.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

Makes me wonder about living here long term. What happens if we have another dry summer?

Got to think that these last couple weeks at least have helped a little, even though the problem is far from over.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

We had official signs go up here yesterday saying not to expect a resumption of running water until "sometime in 2013"! Seems this thing ain't getting any better...

Related forum threads

Login to post