GoKunming Forums

Vietnam travel visa for Chinese citizen?

geosax (14 posts) • 0

Just wondering what visa preparation a Chinese passport holder needs to do before flying to Hanoi and staying a few days. Also wondering if anyone knows about visa requirements for a Chinese citizen to travel through Malaysia. (she is a U.S. resident and green card holder, but I don't think that matters)

We also will be traveling through Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore before returning to Kunming, but our understanding is that those countries issue visas on arrival. Any info anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

jbsindali (5 posts) • 0

Hey,

I'm not expert on this and it's been 3 years since we did it..but I went with my Chinese gf (now wife) and she had no problems getting a vietnam visa..just filled out the app, gave her photos, passport, and cash. We did it all at the embassy in beijing.

..What i have heard though, but this is really old info, is that Chinese citizens CAN'T get visas upon arrival or in another country.. you have to do all your visas from within China.. maybe somebody can update me on whether this is still valid or not though..

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

@jbsindali,

I have heard this too, and can confirm that Chinese citizens need (based on last year's info, this may have changed) a visa prior to arriving in another country for countries that offer visa-on-arrival services for Chinese citizens. What this means is that Chinese laws override the visa rules of those countries.

For example, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia all issue visas on arrival for Chinese citizens with specific conditions (e.g. round-trip air ticket required in the case of air arrivals in Thailand), but the only way a Chinese citizen can qualify for this is by arriving in Thailand from a third country that is not mainland China (Hong Kong would thus count). Therefore, a Chinese citizen could travel to Cambodia etc. by way of Thailand and get a visa-on-arrival at the border like citizens of most other countries, but this doesn't apply for direct flights from China, where the Chinese government requires a visa in a Chinese citizen's passport prior to leaving to be permitted to board the plane.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

BTW @geosax I also heard that Chinese citizens now definately require a round-trip air ticket to enter Malaysia and also assume a visa in advance will be required, particularly if arriving by air directly from China. I believe that there is a Malaysian consulate in Kunming and the Vietnamese consulate is located in the Kai Wah building on Beijing Lu.

Related forum threads

Login to post