GoKunming Forums

Three Years

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

At 10:10 this morning, it was exactly three years since the bombing at Sal's. And though it is a little awkward posting something about this on a forum, it feels even more awkward to let another year go by without saying anything.

There is no doubt that without the support of all of you at that difficult time that we would have not reopened our doors. Thank you to all of you who stuck with us then and continue to now.

When that asshole accidentally detonated himself, he saved the lives of who-knows-how-many and put an end to his bombings that had already resulted in the deaths of two innocent people and the injury of many others.

Had the detonation occurred just moments later as he stepped out of the bathroom – there were four customers in close proximity and seven of our employees – things could have been much worse.

The girls at Sal's witnessed the worst of mankind that day, and it is truly regrettable that they carry the burden of that memory. Many who worked with us then still work with us today and we are continually amazed by their hard work, sincerity and kindness. We have been lucky to work with some of the best people around.

So thank you. Thanks to our friends, family, customers and everyone else. And a special thanks to the wonderful girls who work at Salvador's.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Colin
Your staff make Sals MORE than just another expat hangout. They are tops in ANY country. If ever I start a restaurant - I'll definitely do my best to poach from your staff!

chris (144 posts) • 0

I will always remember that morning... oddly, it was one of the most beautiful blue skies I've ever seen in Kunming.

It was pretty amazing that nobody was hurt or killed other than the bomber. Was also amazing how quickly you guys got the restaurant up and running again.

I remember the notes of encouragement and support (written by Chinese and foreigners) that spontaneously appeared on your door afterward. They were all heartfelt and real.

I think what that day did for myself and perhaps others was forcefully remind us that nothing in life, including life itself, is ever guaranteed - a lesson that should never be forgotten.

I'm sure Christmas Eve will always be slightly uneasy for you guys, but the coolest thing that came out of that whole situation was that after considering wrapping things up, you all decided to bring Sal's back - for the staff, for the community and for yourselves. Quitting would have been so much easier - good on all of you for not giving in to fear or hatred.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

much eloquence from Chris - his last paragraph especially hits the nail on the head. i'm not sure I'd have had it in me to ante up for another round after an experience like that.

as i'm sure you've heard me say countless times before, i'd not have been able to move to a place like Kunming without a place like Salvador's at which to anchor my life, and i know i'm not alone in this sentiment. i can't even remember what we did the few months you were closed after the bombing - dark days indeed.

here's something telling: whenever i've mentioned to Kunming newcomers about the bombing, they struggle to grasp it. there's simply no sign of it. i don't mean just in the bricks and mortar, i mean there's no trace in the air, in the character of the place. to take something so harrowing, and move on from it so effectively, takes real class.

mingbai (18 posts) • 0

And we are continually amazed by the bosses hard work, sincerity and kindness too!
Kunming wouldn't be the same without Salvador's. Thank you guys and Merry Xmas :)

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Wow, I had no idea this happened. In sleepy little Kunming you don't expect such things. I am also amazed that you guys managed to carry on, particularly you Kris, good work!

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

You guys have hung in there and overcome something horrible. All the people there are great and thanks for the wonderful place.

Bill and Ivy

Related forum threads

Login to post