GoKunming Forums

Sewer oil collecting sighting in Kunming!

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

11 pm Nov 29th, Monday night .
We just witnessed two guys collecting sewer oil in the north part of Kunming, in a very nice part of town with restaurants.
They were equipped with a man hole sewer opener( steel rod with J end), each had a small pot at the end of a long stick.
After skimming inside the hole they dumped the contents and oil in the barrels.
The van had 8 barrels.

We were next to the van, my friend got photos.

Micro van, white, Kunming lic #0007j

This was sickening to see!!

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

That's why I've decided to not eat out. It is so disgusting to know that people would do this. They reuse the oil and use it in the 'hotpot' restaurants and places where they sell 'noodles'. Yuk!

KMYOGA (7 posts) • 0

From what I've heard, not only the Hot Pot and the noodles restaurants use this gutter oil, but almost all the restaurants here, maybe only the really expensive ones don't. I've even heard they sell it in supermarkets, reusing oil bottles from known brands.
So,I also don't eat out anymore unless it's at a foreign-owned place..
It's really sad cos I love Chinese food!

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Never really gave this a second thought since I figured they were just taken away for animal fodder: What about those white and blue plastic canisters that every restaurant has where they dump all the patrons' leftovers and the kitchen fry in? They get collected every evening by those tri-bikes and taken somewhere else. Are they also skimmed for reusable oil you think? I mean, if people go through the trouble of skimming sewers then it's hard to imagine all that oil is just given to the animals. Damn,, I'm kinda talking myself into never eating out again here.

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

Disgusting indeed! I never even thought about that until I came to China! Fake Designer things, fake rice, reused oil, fake medicine, etc. It's really scary. I was getting stomach pains after I would finish eating meats. My wife told me that the meat wasn't from the ones we often see on the news but I told her from now on, I will not eat any meat. Lo and behold, my stomach feels much better. Be careful where you buy your stuff. I never buy stuff from the small stores since they tend to receive these fake stuff like sodas, oil, etc.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Danmairen..

I presume they do skim the oil from the restaurant leftovers although this is still not correct it's not as bad as skimming oil from sewers.
Sewers contain many toxic chemicals including heavy metals which can accumulate in one's body, mercury, lead and the list goes on.

bosnianXCII (36 posts) • 0

i just solve this problem like i solve all my problems in china. don't think about it. 8 kuai for niu rou gei fan is just too delicious

harukimurakami (27 posts) • 0

Stay tuned on this one. My mail is that there will be a part-time home-based restaurant that will feature Chinese home style cooking on Saturday nights starting in the next few weeks. It will be by reservation only. You will be able to enjoy great and affordable Chinese food uncontaminated by sewer oil before you know it.

Marco Polo (19 posts) • 0

harukimurakami, this is an interesting phenomenon, which, as I'm sure you know, is growing fast in other cities around the world. Closed-door restaurants at people's homes, where trust levels are a lot higher can deliver high quality cuisine at an affordable level. However, I'm sure the authorities will not want small groups of people meeting behind closed doors, so I would imagine there will be action at some point soon to stop people carrying out these revolting acts.

Related forum threads

Login to post