GoKunming Forums

3G internet access better than home DSL?

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

I'm using China Unicom as my 3G provider and I find that I often have better access to the internet than through my home DSL line (China Telecom).

For instance, when I'm at home and using my phone over my WiFi network, I cannot access the Android Market or some other websites. If I then switch to packet data instead, the Market loads instantly.

I find this strange because both the 3G network and the DSL ought to be firewalled by the Great Firewall, right? Why does 3G seem to work better, then?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

3G seems faster to me too. I had heard it would be slooooow but I needed mobility so bought a 6 month China Telcom USB modem and SIM. Turns out it is faster than the ADSL line.

I am about to buy 6 months of China Unicom 3G.

Does anyone know if I can use my USB 3G modem, now China Telcom, with a China Unicom 3G SIM card?

ludwig (104 posts) • 0

Since China Mobile and China Unicom use different systems I would not be sure if you can use the same dongle, but I got a free 3G USB modem with my China Unicom 12 months data package.

It is also my impression that 3G is faster, at least in the evenings.
Coverage-wise I think China Unicom is much behind China Mobile, but so far at least in all county towns in Yunnan I have had 3G access. China Mobile claims coverage along major highways.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Thanks ludwig. I was guessing it wouldn't work. I'll check the 12 month package.

I now live on the 17th floor and China Mobil service is lousy. Not only me, but others go to the window for mobile GSM calls. If the 3G China Unicom service is good I am thinking I will turn off the landline.

You should be able to use your SIM card with any USB dongle. They all use the 3G network and ought to be compatible with both GSM and CDMA standards.

My laptop has a slot for a SIM card and I have had 3G access in every country I've been to in my travels, simply by inserting the SIM card.

joshwa (67 posts) • 0

What do the plans look like, compared to DSL? I'm paying China Telecom for 136RMB/mo for supposedly "4M" service, which I get around 30% of the time. Are the 3G plans capped? How much do you pay per month, for how much data?

3G is by no means _faster_ than my DSL connection (I think Unicom gives me about 200KBps), but it seems to be _better_. In that I can access servers that I cannot through my DSL connection, such as the Android Market.

My DSL is fast enough. When gauging torrent downloads, I easily clock the promised 512 KBps (4096Mbps) down, haven't tested up but it seems fine. Of course, when you try to access firewalled websites (pretty much any foreign website), it will load significantly slower. This does not depend on your data connection, but rather on the GFW.

Also, you would be paying a lot more. My China Unicom plan is 66RMB/month and that gets me enough calling and texting credit plus 300MB cell data. Everything else is billed separately. Clearly not an alternative to your DSL line.

PatTang2012 (7 posts) • 0

Any one know the prices for the China Unicom 3G sims to use for Android smart phones.
I read this:

pacakge 96RMB for 3GB per month is a Prepaid one.

Also a year contract package is 1200rmb.
Read can get 3 month pre paid just over 300rmb.
I'm not interested in calls because its dual sim phone, so my calls will be on China Mobile.
Just want China Unicom for my internet.

Related forum threads

Login to post