GoKunming Forums

KRFC Kunming Rugby Football Club

davo123 (12 posts) • 0

but yeh ive got a ball in kunming so maybe we can organize something once you guys all become familiar or something later on

Merzei (101 posts) • 0

No worries davo. I can pick up a ball as well. Jans not too far away - hopefully we'll have something going by then.

Thinking of the big picture - and I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here - it would be great to talk to sponsors/ local govt about getting some funding for a team and actively encouraging the locals to play. At the 2016 games in Rio Rugby sevens will be an olympic sport so its a good opportunity to start something up. I'll be making a few calls but if anyone else has any ideas let me know.

I was thinking of targeting not this wknd but the text for a meet and greet and kick around - enough time to get a ground and a ball etc. If you are still interested send me a pm or write to tristram.barker@gmail.com with your name and contact number and I'll get in touch early next week when its all go. I gotta say The Kunming Tigers or the Kunming Flying Tigers has a ring to it...

Merzei (101 posts) • 0

Guys there are eleven or so players already keen to play so let's get this started. I've made contact with the Chengdu and Chongqing teams who have had clubs for several years with weekly games and who tour to Xiamen and elsewhere. I've had messages and contact details from some of you already – if you are keen drop me an email at tristram.barker@gmail.com with your cell phone number and I'll set something up for the following weekend – either Saturday the 12th or Sunday the 13th. As soon as I've got enough numbers for a turnout – minimum 4-5 I guess I'll grab a pitch and a case of beer. All levels welcome including beginners – it would be great to get some locals down as well. We'll probably just kick the ball (which is on its way – thanks Taobao) around and play some touch at first and take it from there. I'm liking the name Kunming Flying Tigers or Tigers for short. Any other suggestions?

Merzei (101 posts) • 0

For anyone who's been following the KRFC posts heres an added incentive to sign up- the guys in Chongqing have said they'd like to host a Kunming team in April of next year. The Chengdu Pandas (see their website chengdurugby.com) have invited us to Chengdu for a tens or fifteens mini tournament with Chongqing and Guangzhou teams also in attendance. They are also contemplating a sevens tournament in December.

This is a great chance to play a bit of footy, see a couple of new places (I haven't been to Chengdu or Chongqing anyway) and probably have a grand piss up as well.

Contact Tristram at tristram.barker@gmail.com if you're interested.
I wanna find a pitch for a game of touch this cominmg saturday or sunday.

Merzei (101 posts) • 0

Sorry guys

I've been out with the flu in a big way.

I now have a real (Gilbert) rugby ball – who's keen for a game of touch this weekend? Basketball court if we have to I guess - I was trying to sort a field out when the flu hit...

Merzei (101 posts) • 0

Anyone know a ground to play touch on - even hard court? The best I can come up with without paying is the basketball courts at Yunnan University which should have space on a saturday and might even encourage a couple of locals to jump in and have a go. We could meet tomorrow at the courts (you can't miss em - whichever gate you come through) at 1 pm tomorrow? Let me know if this suits or if you know a better place or a different time suits...

mamasaid... for contact see the above post about a tournamment in Chengdu/Chongqing. Even if we don't have a full sevens squad by then - and I hope we will - they said we can travel up and they'll just fill in the numbers. After that - who knows? It would be great to have a fifteeens side.

Related forum threads

Login to post