GoKunming Forums

A mess in the kunming zoo

kentcy23 (18 posts) • 0

I went to the zoo this morning and i feel pains and my heart are aching.
Those animals are being tortured for making money.and almost all of the environment for each animals is wrong.
penguins and bears - their skin is tear
deers - horns are cut off
sea lion and sea dogs - are dying for no place for them to rest,they put them in the entertainment place even when the show is off
lions & tigers - place for them is not built properly
butterfly garden,reptiles park,aquarium - need to pay extra fees to get in . and the crocodile protection glass is almost broke.
elephants - should be gray color but now is brown bcos of mud water.i know is bcos of the weather but they should wash them when its summer then when its winter only they can leave it to bath with mud
alot more i can say but i don wan to make a long article here.
wat i know about country national zoo is, government should protect the animals not torture them and they should study how the animal live so that they can built a good environment for them.
and to give young learners really learn about the original of the animals not after they 'upgrade' the animals.

chinesegirlinuk (8 posts) • 0

It is very sad indeed. Unfortunately that's what most of zoos are like in China.

To complain, you could email Chinese authorities: local government, Chinese embassies in the foreign countries as I did so – the complaint is not always in vain - sometimes they listen.

One step further: If you want to do more for the poor animals here, you could check www.animalsasia.org where you may find some volunteering work you can do and get involved to improve the animal welfare in Yunnan, China or even Asia.

kentcy23 (18 posts) • 0

unfortunately i'm not a china nationality . i'm a chinese from other country.i'm a animal lover though and have volunteered taking care in my country for abandon pets . hope they will improve and treat every life of the animals importantly.

EncryptedEncrypted (114 posts) • 0

If you don't want animals suffer in zoos, just don't give them money. If people keep going to zoos there will always be animals living a cruel and crapy life. Even if zoos are well kept it's still torture for the animals and unacceptable. The same as circus.

Animals are not objects. We can not use them for fun, making money or for anything else.

Pierre (46 posts) • 0

If I can remember correctly, this story is even sadder than it sounds in the first place.

When the Safari-Park was opened in northern Kunming, animals from the central zoo were to be send over because the living conditions for them would have been much better.
Guess what... central Zoo officials protested against it, as they found out that this would mean that they would loose customers, eg. business. They argued, that the central zoo's main objective was/is, to present animals to the interested public. They knew also knew that space was very confined downtown but shipping the animals out to north Kunming would have removed them too far from "public".

I'm sorry, I can't find the article anymore, but if you want to read more about the Kunming Zoo, check out this article: www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-06/29/content_343575.htm
Some of what I mention is in there, and some can be deduced off it.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

So, in an ironic way - shutting down the Kunming Zoo is actually a good thing. The Beijing Zoo is actually a LITTLE better except for the pens they keep the BIG cats in - like the black panther/leopard - that's a beautiful but fearsome looking animal - as it paces back and forth in it's glassed pen - looking at the food on the other side...perpetually waiting for an opportunity.

NavyVet (40 posts) • 0

"They have a bigger zoo in the north of the city where animals have better conditions."

Anyone know where this one is?

Related forum threads

Login to post