GoKunming Forums

A mess in the kunming zoo

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"They have a bigger zoo in the north of the city where animals have better conditions."

I hope that guy is kidding. They live in horrible conditions and are cruelly mistreated.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

@Yankee

He means the 野生动物园. I went and thought it was very good. A great day out. It's a safari park you can walk around.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I don't support the habitual abuse to animals which is why in 11 years here I have not set foot in the Kunming Zoo. It is a disgrace to all the animals there and only teaches the young Chinese that animals have little value, or need to treat them with compassion.

You should not be supporting such businesses here.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

most people working in the zoo's in china are not well trained, or aren't paid enough to care. most of the zoologists are not in contact with the animals and only have advisory status. as mentioned above zoo's here are businesses(what isn't in china).

a zoo is a nightmare for animals anywhere so don't go there in the first place, enjoy the wildlife around you place. there are plenty of fascinating animals in the mountains. even a lot of dabgerous snakes, cobra vipers etc. no need to fly to kunming to see an african elephant....imho.

preserve the animals that are around you, if you really want to make a change.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

You guys eat meat? Not to defend or attack zoos, but look at conditions under which animals are raised for slaughter, and then are slaughtered. A more significant situation, I think, than the conditions of the relatively few animals kept in zoos around the world.
I eat meat, if anyone is interested - probably an indefensible choice.I'm not doing moral one-upsmanship here
"Just the facts, ma'am" - Joe Friday

benannabenanna (15 posts) • 0

The zoo doesn't appear to be going anywhere. There is a new redevelopment project for the elephant enclosure. The zoo was supposed to close down with the hill converted to a large people only space. Both myself and a colleague use the zoo for introducing students to animal psychological issues with regards to captivity. It is apparent that many of the animals suffer from 'zoochosis' to some degree.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

If you're an animal and you end up in a Chinese zoo, you've lucked out, unless you're the panda.

As I say though, the city centre zoo is grim but I liked the safari park in the north.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Meat usually comes from herbivores humans domesticated thousands of years ago. Zoos take animals from the wild or non domesticated species. Don't need the old zoo when there is a nice wildlife park just 20min north.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

the emus are free roam at the wild life park. do not buy the pass for the electric carts. walk to the part where there are emus and camels roaming. wait for an idiot with food taunting the emus, get your camera ready....youll get some awesome shots of the emus swarming and attacking the said idiot.

if you go when it first opens, the llamas are pretty friendly. feed them a bit and you can pet them. sadly once there is a swarm of people throwing things at them and yelling at them they disappear.

Related forum threads

Login to post