GoKunming Forums

Travel Lijiang to Dali

hannelore76 (2 posts) • 0

Hi, we want to visit Dali and Lijiang with our two sons (2 and 4 years old). Unfortunately we just have time in the golden week. We want to fly from PEK to Lijiang, stay for 2-3 nights, then go by train to Dali and stay another 3-4 nights. Can you tell us if the train is now running from Lijiang to Dali, since we heard many different stories. And you might know nice places to stay with small kids (no entertainment needed, just cosy, friendly, does not need to be the cheapest). What do you think about the Linden Center ?
Thanks & regards from Beijing
Johanna

NashPreds (7 posts) • 0

Hey Johanna,

Train from Lijiang to Dali is running! It cannot stop carrying over 14,000,000 passengers per year... too valuable. (FYI, in time, it will be extended to Shangri-La (Zhongdian) of Yunnan)

Perhaps the stories are related to the NEW Lijiang Train Station on the southwest side wp.me/p1xb5m-aC as of August something 2011, while changing the previous station on the east side (now a cargo line). Lijiang to Dali is less than a two-hour transit (not incl waiting time, etc.) with a few trips during the day. (As you are coming during National Week, make sure to buy your train tickets early)

Haven't been to Linden Center (Dali).
Lijiang has several places that are exceptional, depending on what you want. There are hundreds of small cheap "hostels" 客栈 all around, but you can work your way up to something like Pullman Lijiang or Banyan.

If you are in Lijiang longer, check out the "Liming Lisu County" (Chinese for convenience 黎明村)

Cheers,
NP

Naturallychina (34 posts) • 0

Hi Johanna,

The train from Lijiang to Kunming does not stop in Dali, therefore it's not possible to train a train from Lijiang to Dali. You can take a local bus from Lijiang to Dali, which is about 2 hours drive. If it's not convience with kids, then you can hire a 5 seats car in Lijiang.

Besides, for your stay in Dali, Banyan is a good suggestion! You may check for the better deal with Yunnan local travel agency!

At last, since it's during the rush season, I'd suggest you to book your train tickets, flight tickets, hotes etc as soon as possible in order to avoid the disppointment!

Yunnan expat travel service company, might be interesting - "Wonders Of Yunnan", website www.wondersofyunnan.com

Welcome to Yunnan and have a great stay here!

Kind regards,
Linda Lin

kiwikiwi (16 posts) • 0

They will have a new train schedule for the Golden Week, but there will probably be two trains a day from Kunming-Dali-Lijiang (yes, all day trains stop in Dali/Xiaguan to change engines)

During the last busy season there were two or three trains from Lijiang to Dali during the day, two in the morning around 8.30 and 10am, and one in the afternoon around 4pm. Journey time is only 90 mins, whereas by bus or car it will take around 4 hours, maybe more, as lots of rebuilding for the new highway out of Lijiang.

Jim's Peace hotel in Dali is a good option with family rooms, good location in Dali old town, etc, whereas the Linden Centre is located in another village 20 mins by car from Dali old town.

In Lijiang, Zen Garden is a good option.

More info at www.lijiangtravel.info and www.southwestchina.info.

It will be busy during that Golden Week, expect crowds, slow traffic, racked-up prices, etc.

hannelore76 (2 posts) • 0

Thanks to you all and your quick help and the good webpages hint. This weekend we will start booking and I will make sure the hotels take care about the train ticket booking. Might have more questions, then I get back to you.

Respect to this nice and very well structured homepage. We are living in China for 5 years now and I have not seen such a good and helpful regional homepage like this one !

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I saw your post after the fact - but if you have future plans here in Yunnan - feel free to visit my website and get some accurate info.

WWW.HUGOYUNNANTRAVEL.COM

Good luck

Hugo

Related forum threads

Login to post