GoKunming Forums

Dali-Lincang-Lancang-Jinghong anybody?

LijiangMillionaire (1 post) • 0

Wondering if anyone had done this route, from Dali/Xiaguan to Jinghong via Lincang and Lancang by bus.

If so, how long did it take? Or is there a day bus from Dali to Jinghong?

ludwig (104 posts) • 0

There is not daytime bus from Dali to Jinghong, it is just too long at the moment. When I was last in the area about a year ago the highway from Lincang to Lancang was under construction with many services cancelled on that stretch, I have no information if it is finished now.

Anyway, there are day busses to Lincang from Xiaguan's eastern station (near the train station). I have photos of timetables here: www.yunnanexplorer.com/transport/station/dali-east/
This stretch is all on a very good road (expressway or similar) and takes probably six or seven hours via Xiangyun, Nanjian and Yunxian.

As I said, a year ago the next stretch was under construction and busses to Lancang, if the route was not blocked entirely, took some 12 hours. If the road is finished, it should be much, much faster.

The stretch from Lancang to Jinghong is easy again, quite a few busses running, it takes maybe five hours.

Overall, the interest factor along this road is pretty low unless you take some journeys to the side. Menglian is minority-wise the most interesting place, Mengding (in Gengma county) is not so bad either and there are some nice tea hills at Jingmai (south of Lancang).

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

I would recommend going south from Dali via Midu, Jingdong and Jinggu, then heading west across to Lincang. This area has far more traditional Dai temples than you can find in Xishuangbanna owing to the Xishuangbanna Dai's propensity to knock the old ones down and build glammed-out concrete replacements the second some rubber-plantation money drips in. That said, there are still plenty of interesting places in Xishuangbanna, just most of them are nothing to do with the Dai but instead other 'minority' groups.

Three of us (Taiwanese 18, Australian 27, Australian 29) are planning to cycle that route at least as far as Jinggu, with an open schedule, at the beginning of October. The pace will be pretty slow, I'd say. If you're interested in coming then feel free to get in touch: 18669080480

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

the road's a mess, with intermittent bus service and lots of potential for delays. given the state it was in when i saw it (end 2010), i don't think it'll be complete yet.

that said, if you're a hardy and patient sort, you can probably take it on: Lancang-Menghai-Jinghong was smooth, the Lincang-Lancang section has the bad stuff.

the Midu/Jinggu route sounds interesting - the Jinggu-Lincang road was also under construction, but much closer to completion, and chances are voltaire and his crew are headed for the best of all possible worlds.

Zuru- (5 posts) • 0

I was hoping to hitch-hike from Dali to Lancang in two days to go to Menglian festivals on April 10th and 11th. Alternatively, a sleeper bus could do nicely.

What is the current situation about that Lincang - Lancang section?
How should I plan my travel?

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

lincang to lancang highway is all finished and should take about half as much time as it used to. i've heard as little as 4 hours...

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

lincang to lancang highway is all finished and should take about half as much time as it used to. i've heard as little as 4 hours...

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

That is indeed great news. I traveled this road from Lancang to Cangyuan for Monihei last year and it took 11 bloody hours because of the construction.

Related forum threads

Login to post