GoKunming Forums

All schools to charge 8000 per semester?

fogdear (99 posts) • 0

So my school, dong fang in the north, just told me that the Kunming government is requiring every language school from small xue yuan to da xue to charge 8000 rmb per semester! Has anyone at any other school heard of this?

钱多多 (7 posts) • 0

No. I just registered at a school for 6 months where it cost just over 3000rmb for weekend classes.

Edit: Although I've just heard that acceptance for this semesters course just finished, and the rule you mentioned will probably be started next semester. Education bureau's trying to standardize prices...

I think Keats still does small classes for a reasonable price, maybe check out their ad on here to their website.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Registration has finished? In the case of Yunnan University of Nationalities, where I have previously studied, students were coming and going throughout the year without consideration to acceptance being stopped at any particular time (at least this is what I assume; since some students came like 6 weeks after the start of classes and others would go back home after only 2 months etc.)

I am still considering returning to study at some university in Kunming (not YUN, but possibly Yunnan University or Normal University) but I am unwilling to make a commitment to pay for classes until I am sure I will return. This would be around early September. Do you know if I can just show up like a week after classes have started and pay then? As I said, I can't commit right now, because if i have other commitments I don't want to go through the effort of trying to recover my money...also I don't know if my Chinese caretakers have enough time to pay for my courses in advance right now since they are quite busy.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

They want your money. With the price hike it is unlikely to be over subscribed.
Even if it is, they won't care.

This regulation can only be applied to state run/licensed educational institutions. Some of the private schools will use this as a reason to raise prices though.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Wow! I hope thi8s isn't a 'fake school' story.

For an 18 week, 10 class hours per week, the cost is more than 40 yuan per hour. If there are 6 students then school will be getting more than 240 yuan per class hour. Most teachers are getting 25-35 per hour. Pretty substantial margins.

Sounds great for school owners but I suspect the number of students will drop and the teachers needed will also go down. Smart move by the international city's government.

Has anyone actually paid 8000 for a semester?

fogdear (99 posts) • 0

because our school gave us a year visa last spring we won't have to pay the 8000 until the winter semester. but she told us that if we didn't already have that, then we would have to pay it before the semester starts september 1.

dong fang also told me the one on one price raised from 60 rmb per hour to over 100 an hour. you can still find a tutor for cheap but any school that offers visas will have this price increase, according to dong fang.

if this is the case, then i highly suggest NOT going to a small school. they used to offer a certain convenience. now i say just go to the Universities. or move out of kunming. Dali is sounding nicer and nicer.

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

All the more reason if your are an English teacher, your rates MUST go up. Summit, Hainan, Web International, Henderson and all the Universities all pay low wages by today's standard. 100-120 RMB per hour to teach a bunch of kids and adults is not cutting it anymore. Ridiculous!

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Especially given the uncertainty with regards to cancellations (usually at the last minute), changes in schedule so you get less hours than you originally thought etc. and then they think they can get away with only paying you 100-120 or sometimes even less. Don't let them get away with that!

fatcat (3 posts) • 0

I did plan to go to a private school, but it is a very bad news that I have to pay 8000rmb per semester!!!! Many of us like to stay in Kunming because Kunming has a low living expense. The price to study in a private school is very reasonable. Even Yunnan University only charges about 5800rmb per semester while the small schools are going to charge 8000rmb! There will be no students studying at small private schools in the future. The small schools will be closed soon when they have no students. Government is requiring every language school to charge so much more than universities, that's incredible!!! There must be something wrong with the government's mind. I think I have to switch to a university instead of a language school.

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

Hello,
Haven't heard that yet,but if it is true it will be a good reason to look for school in other city like Dali .

Related forum threads

Login to post