GoKunming Forums

Fake Ikea store

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

That's what I was thinking! Kunming is becoming more and more famous internationally (but for all the wrong reasons)! Yes, bring the real IKEA to Kunming.

Perhaps we might see droves of international tourists in Kunming on sightseeing tours to these "fake" stores? Might be good for the economy! How about it Kunming authorities?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

How is 11 Jiaju illegal? Are you a lawyer or just jumping on the fake bird wagon?

Actually, I like the 11 Jiaju stuff better than Ikea, the bookcases anyway. Better quality and the shelves don't sag in the middle. Free delivery too.

Clearly, what has been copied is called "trade dress." Ikea sued a look alike in LA several years ago and won. But a key element in the suit was the competitor's owners were ex-Ikea execs. Duplicating successful trade dress is pretty common in China.

Having bought a lot of stuff at the Beijing Ikea I can also say the service is better at 11 Jiaju.

AnnAurora (36 posts) • 0

@Geezer. Yes, actually I am. As you said it might be a question of trademark infringement. It is still under investigation and we still don't know if the store is similair enough or if IKEA want to take it to court. These kind of stores usually doesn't have enough money for it to be worth suing them. But it's kind of funny that even the name (Shi Yi Ge Jia) is very close to IKEA.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Actually the name is "十一家具" or shi yi jia ju. As 家具 means furniture kind of a stretch to get IKEA out of 十一家具.

Nice of you to be concerned about how much money they have. IPR be damned, just show the lawyers the money at 十一家具. Oh, by the way, I did not say "trademark" infringement nor, did I see any. The legal issue would be "trade dress" which, I am sure you know, the China Supreme Court has addressed. The "worth" to IKEA the protection of the visual appearance of their stores, fixtures and style. But then again, usually it goes to, in part, the recognition, or, confusion of consumers. How many Chinese consumers in Kunming would be confused do you think by 十一家具 similar trade dress?

I guess if you changed the name of the store as a result of your investigation it might work.

Do you think you can represent IKEA? Better do a lot better than you show here. I wouldn't hire you and, if I had already made that mistake, you'd be gone.

Enough money indeed. Must be a bitch chasing ambulances on an e-bike.

Related forum threads

Login to post