GoKunming Forums

copying Gokunming??

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I can only think of 2 reasons

First, they are boosting content on their own site.

Second, alternatively they are not copying, people are posting the same add on both sites.

The Book Exchange (17 posts) • 0

Actually, they seem to be copying the ads. Sometimes when I place an ad here, I will get a message from the echinacities website that my ad has also been placed on their website (without my consent). Nothing illegal, but it is a bit tacky.

Matthew (73 posts) • 0

There's no cooperation between the sites.

Why would people copy classifieds? To look like they have an established audience. To hit search engine terms of relevance without having to think them up themselves.

Yes, tacky. Note that they're only (usefully) able to do it with ads that have contact info in, as they're not able to copy the 'Respond' loop which sends responses to GoKunming user email addresses, which remain hidden. We advise against putting contact details in ads to defend against spam bots, but people do it anyway.

Also, on GoKunming, when you've sold your bike, you can go in and pull the ad down. But the calls will keep coming from copycat sites... that's if they actually do have any audience.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

just an idea... would it be worth removing any contact details from the ads as they are vetted? might save complications later on. i know that many publications make it their policy.

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

A good bit of advice for the posters on GK to not put their contact info on their posts but not reasonable to expect GK admin to erase the contact info from every ad. Protect yourselves ya'll. Why put your contact info on the publicly viewable ad when you can easily be contacted through the 'respond' button? I think that's the whole point.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@kris - it could be a lot of extra work. fair point.

how about just not listing the ads that contain personal contact info? maybe there could be an automated email to let the poster know that their listing had been declined.

on a few occasions recently, i've replied via the respond button rather than the phone number listed and not received a response. weeks later i've received a message to tell me that they don't check their emails regularly and were expecting phone calls only.

Related forum threads

Login to post