GoKunming Forums

Extending work visa - changing employers

ChudinChina (9 posts) • 0

Can someone please offer advice on the following situation?

I've been working in another province (Shandong) on a Z-visa for just over 12 months and wish to relocate to Kunming upon my soon to be completed contract. The college I'm teaching at is state-owned and like all colleges, required me to have a degree. The fact is I don't have a degree. When I applied for the job, it was through a foreign teacher working at the college. I didn't know this person but he put in a recommendation for me based solely on the fact I possess a TESOL certificate and that I'm a native speaker. Obviously, the foreign affairs department at the college must have pulled some strings at the PSB, because I was granted a Z-visa and here I am. I'm on good terms with the college and they will provide me with all the necessary 'release' documents. I also have good references.

In addition to the 12 months experience I have teaching in China, I was also a language instructor in Australia for 2 months and I have about 4 years experience as a staff trainer in both retail sales and the hospitality industry.

The problem I'm now having is in finding a new school/college to employ me - I have applied for many within Kunming but I'm not having any luck because I don't have a degree. Yet the fact remains, I was granted a 14 month residents permit and a foreign expert's certificate without possessing a degree - so it can be done.

Could anyone please suggest what to do next? I very much want to live and work in Kunming. I visited there during the winter break, fell in love with the place and that's where I want to be.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

no way (104 posts) • 0

teacher pay in kunming is extra special low, but for some
reason the fur'ners all love it here. the supply of qualified
teachers will make it difficult for you to find a university
position.

try applying with some of the private schools (do check that
they can legally hire fur'ners), or look at some of the more
exotic areas.....jinghong, jiaotong, etc.

register with dave's and check the forums and job listings.
also angelina's (recruiter) has hundreds of jobs with no
degree required.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Since you already have experience and the TESOL - the degree is merely a formality. You "MAY" want to investigate purchase of a degree from degree mill farms (online degrees based on experience)...just make sure they're pseudo-affiliated and not on known blacklists.

Thanks for your post 'no way'. I hear you about the pay - I am aware of it. In truth, the pay in Shandong isn't that great either. I did notice though that when I was in KM that prices were lower on average than in Shandong and as such I guess the pay is relative.

I've just about given up on the college/uni job applications. What shits me though is seeing the same jobs re-advertised. Clearly they are not filling the positions and yet here I am putting my hand up. Also, it's frustrating to view the entire duplicity of the situation. On the one hand, there is the "this is what we want" list and on the other hand there is the "this is what the government requires" list. The frustrating part is that there is a third option being "if you know the right people, we can do this" list.

I have been checking Dave's and Angelina's sites but everything I've seen KM related still requires a degree. However, I'll keep looking. The bottom line is, I want to be in Kunming, so I guess the private school/kindy option is all I have. The other issue though is finding the schools; apart from the obvious ones (Robert's School etc.), there must be a lot of private schools in KM, but without a 'Yellow Pages', how do you find them? How do you get their contact details? Who can you talk to? That's the problem I'm currently facing. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Thanks Laotou. I have recently been looking into an online degree and feel that it's obviously something I have to do in order to achieve my goals of not only living and working in China, but to further my career in teaching. Could you please elaborate though - I understand what a 'mill farm' is, but is it really a legitimate degree or more specifically, internationally recognised? I'm very curious though to know which sites to look at. I have been searching online but everything I've checked so far is primarily US based and way too expensive.
If you wouldn't mind, could you pass on some links to me.
My email is: chud1971@hotmail.com
I'd be very grateful. Thanks again.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@chudinchina
I was referring to those "gray" market diplomas - the ones that cost about USD 100 (guessing here). You'll want to go with an organization that can "verify" your diploma just like a mainline accredited institution...just in case - but highly doubtful anyone in china would actually check your college degree.

Please don't ask me for references - I'd have to use google. There are a couple of famous exposes on executives, government officials, etc who were exposed for using faked credentials. Enough said.

As for school references - some (most?) advertise on gokunming - just beware the schools with histories of troublesome management. Check the gokm listings and classifieds sections.

Remember - most of the schools will have to convert your working visa - it's less troublesome for them if you have a college degree (or you have 20+ years of experience). English teachers are as prolific as e-bikes - which is why you're being ignored. It's easier to get the work visa/foreign expert certificate (do private schools do the foreign expert's certification?) for BA/BS enabled applicants. They don't care WHERE you got your BA/BS from (although you may need to provide transcripts - that may run USD200+ from the diploma farms).

Good luck. Hope the students enjoy having you as much as you'll enjoy being "had"...(prevaricating on whether the pun was intended).

AuroraCultural (17 posts) • 0

Aurora Cultural Bridge Co., Ltd. provides services for individuals include: 24 hour access to on phone translation, visa consultation, settlement arrangement, TESOL certification, job-placement, chauffer services etc.

you can contact us to see if we can give you help. Our website: www.kmacb.com.

Related forum threads

Login to post