GoKunming Forums

about acting work

AnnAurora (36 posts) • 0

Tigertiger- I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is that a lot of foreigners working in the modeling industry in Kunming have a student or tourist visa. I doubt that it is possible to get a working visa for one time events.
And doesn't a working visa specify what kind of job you are supposed to be doing?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Working visas specify what kind of work and WHERE one may work. If one changes jobs, the visa must be updated. Occasional private consulting gigs are technically not permitted, but generally not enforced or enforceable unless one has been particularly naughty.

explorerred (26 posts) • 0

o

Just for the record:

I haven't posted again on this thread until now because my internet has been out for the last week (downstairs neighbor disconnected me by accident and then left town!)

I have had a legal working visa the whole three and a half years I have been in Kunming. However, I don't believe it is ethical to offer foreigners jobs who don't have working visas and then use that fact to screw them over. This is exactly the kind of practice that I was trying to warn people about.

I posted the link to Jasmine's photo out of concern that she might simply change her English nickname to avoid the consequences of her unethical behavior in the future. Although, if, as she claims, her business is so fraught with difficulties and she, in fact, is the one who is always being cheated, why does she continue? Because she is doing very well indeed, at least monetarily. And there is no law against posting people's photos on the internet. It's actually a perfectly nice one, I think. There are laws against slander, of course, so Jasmine, if you can prove that anything I said isn't true, knock yourself out. It was your latest escapade involving Ira (who I do know personally) that prompted me to post the warning, but it was my own first hand experience with you a year and a half ago that I drew on to make my judgment about you as a liar and a con-artist, so we're not talking about a "rumor". I was there. I lived it. And there were eight or nine witnesses who will happily attest to the facts of the matter.

As for all the discussion about contracts, I should point out that the eight or nine foreign extras who were hired to work the day I met Jasmine had all been working on this movie for a couple of weeks already and had worked longer hours and been paid less than promised by Jasmine on several occasions. They were so frustrated at being repeatedly lied to by her that they asked me, as the eldest one there that day, I suppose (I am [18 x 3] + 2!), to write a simple contract stating the hourly rate and payment schedule, which I did. After about an hour of trying to get her to read it and having her ignore us, she finally signed it and threw it in my face with a few choice epitaphs. What the well meaning people on this and the other threads that Jasmine started don't understand is that Jasmine doesn't need advice about contracts because her fundamental lack of decency makes her terrified of them. And of course, at the end of the day she didn't honor the contract that she had signed only that morning, to no one's surprise.

All this whining by Jasmine about how tough it is to be an agent is really of no concern to the people she hires, whether they be daily extras, professional actors, Chinese, foreign, have work visas or not. The people she hires have no control over the people she works for. She needs to figure out a way to do her job in a professional manner or do something else.

I probably shouldn't be, but I am a little shocked by the comments from people who say things like "get a legitimate job" or "maybe the complainer should be prosecuted for not paying taxes or not having a business license". I have a legitimate, full time job and I pay taxes. Jasmine approached me, not the other way around, and begged me to "save" her in her emergency because they needed more actors with no prior notice. She could have cared less about who had a visa or whether taxes were being paid (by her or anyone else). If anyone should be concerned about the police, it should be her. Not that the police are likely to give a damn about any of this tiresomeness.

One last thing; I am also surprised to see the depth of animosity between some Chinese and foreigners in Kunming expressed on these threads. I hope they are the minority. Speaking for myself, with one notable exception (guess who?), I have been overwhelmed with kindness, generosity and true friendship by the vast majority of Chinese I have met during my time here. Maybe exercising good judgment about who you associate with is a good idea no matter where on the planet you live, whether you are a foreigner or a local in whatever country you find yourself. I wouldn't trade my Kunming experience and my wonderful Chinese friends for anything. And I do feel very lucky to be a foreigner in China at this time, but I don't think I'm spoiled. I work hard at what I do, give good value for money, and make much less than I would in my home country. And it's pointless to compare my salary with my Chinese counterparts, because I have skills that they simply don't. I'm not putting them down, that's just the reality of the situation. That's why the government issues work visas and foreign expert certificates, because right now, China needs them. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for listening. Think I'll take a break from reading forums for a while. I discovered that not having internet for a week was actually kind of liberating and peaceful.

Peace

barshopper (6 posts) • 0

Jasmine...never learns it haha. Just beware you all...having this kind of agent will cause you huge trouble. This woman is a notorious lyer...

Moritvri (6 posts) • 0

work is important, if any of the agreements are not meet, expect a shitstorm, thats buissness, and how it should be.

if you take a girl on a date, and expect her to pay for your food, well, that wouldnt work.

as a middlelink between directors and actors you should make sure you know how things stand, and do buisness by protocol, pissing people of will ultimatelly end up in your own termination. if you somehow find yourself in a piece of shit, you somehow ended up there.

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

Point 1.

"foreigner seems so crazy,"

"because in many Chinese people mind,foreign guy in China is playboy"

"foreigner always complain to me."

"I spend more time than foreigner,'

"foreigner always like ask how long".

China makes up less than 5% of the inhabitable land in the world, and less than 1% of the land in the world.

80% of the people in the world are not Chinese citizens, so 80% of the world are "foreigners". "Foreigners" means, most people, "foreign" means most of the world.

Believe it or not, just like like Americans, French, and others,
Chinese people do not have a good reputation in the world, with many people stereotyping them as rude, selfish, ignorant, greedy, materialistic, racist, dishonest, unclean and culture-centric.

However, most of the members of the world who come to live in smaller cities of China, such as Kunming, are people who disagree with this. They rise above judging, oversimplifying, stereotyping, and discriminating based on ANY nationality and instead are here to appreciate, work with and befriend people as people, and can't be bothered to engage in xenophobic thinking. They also often get scrutinized, and sometimes even criticized by the world for living in China, but this doesn't stop them either.

So, why is it THEY who are told to worry about the views of local bigots?

Point 1, section b (:

The job titles are actor, model, extra, or at least- employee.

If need be, foreign models, foreign extras etc.

You are a xenophobe, because you talk like there is some kind of relevant connection between the "foreignness" here, and the issues of this job.

Point 2

Further, you may be a wonderful person, but it doesn't matter here, because you are obviously very unprofessional.

How do I know?
Because you feel that you can not guarantee almost any conditions of the work that you offer, but without disclosing this to your clients/employees. And for good reason.

I am sure you don't tell them "I am not sure how much you will be paid, when you will work, for approximately how long your work will be, or even if you (or I ) get paid at all. "

But according to what you have posted here, that is what you should say.

point 3
No matter which land, province, country, religion, nation, county, city, port, coast, town or superpower you come from-remember !

"Outsiders" or "foreigners" are most people, most of the world.
As an exercise, you can try to replace the epithets with the term "the world", and see how silly this way of talking about people is.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I've been in quite a few Chinese shows my day, and have worked with Jasmine several times. I've never been screwed over, but that's because I keep my wits about me and I know a few things about how this business works.

I don't believe that Jasmine is a bad person or out to screw anybody, but there are some serious problems with how she approaches her work.

Jasmine, below is some advice which I gave you before. Please read it and consider it well:

- Communication is the most important thing. If you know that just about any shooting project can run over schedule, don't keep telling people that it will only be an hour or two. Say "They said three hours, but it often takes a lot longer. Bring a book, some drinks and a comfortable chair."

If you discuss this at the beginning, some people will agree to the price, and some people will want more if the time takes too long. What matters is that there are no surprises on set. You need to explain this better to both the crew and the actors before any deals are made.

- You need to make a clear decision whether you represent the actors or the production company. Whose interests are more important? You can either serve the production company or the actors, but never both. Hint: it all comes down to who gives you the money. If the production company is paying you, don't take money from the actors. Otherwise you will have conflicts of interest.

- If you want to keep doing this business, you must be willing to take on some risk. I contract a lot of people to do work for me, and I always pay them out of my own pocket, regardless of whether or not the client pays me. If the client screws me, that's MY problem, not THEIRS. If you don't trust a client to pay you, don't work for them.

I think this is one of the biggest problems you have. When there is a dispute over payment, you tell the actors that YOU are losing money. They don't care. They work for YOU and not the production company.

自由的特约 (1 post) • 0

Jasmine,

You can make excuses all day long about how hard your job is and how you have no control over how much money the production company decides to give you, but at the end of the day, you know you are a liar and thief.

You have been squandering money from production companies and, subsequently foreigners, for no one really knows how long. Eventually, you can be sure it's going to catch up with you. Anyone who has been in the industry long enough knows how much they should be paid for the work they do.

FOREIGN EXTRAS LISTEN UP!!! HERE'S THE DEAL:

500 RMB per day for being an extra on set

700 RMB per day for having a line
1000 RMB per day for a small role in 1-3 scenes

2000-3000 RMB per day for a role in 4-10 scenes

5000 RMB per day for a role in 10+ scenes

That's the deal. That's how the industry works here in China. DON'T LET PEOPLE LIKE JASMINE LIE TO YOU!!!

Sincerely,

一个特约

dream maker (6 posts) • 0

that's ridiculous! 一个特约?!who you are? in china who make price of china film industry? can you ask all film industry company pay the same price,in spite of they shooting in Beijing,or a small town?the company invest how much capital on this film? in China?! do you know every province and city have different average salery? how the goverment and company make the salary level? suggest you do research of local CPI and GDP.
I am curious,you make this price of you,did have someone hire you? are you handsome? can you speak chinese fluntly?do you acting very well? how many Tv movie you have acted? are you the only option,no one can replace you?
Xiefei sounds a nice guy.and his suggest to jasmine is objective and fair.
here have some poisonous words about Jasmine,but the guy never explian what he did himself.all is Jasmine's fault? did he innocent at all? I don't think so. the malice of slander behavior just make yourself cheap.

I don't know who you are.but something is obviously.

not all foreigner is same.some is nice,some is bad.as I know,some foreigner lie to his agent or client for raise price,get more money.steal agent's commission.some foreigner agree the price when a agent offer him in the begining,but when he arrivel to set,he force agent pay him more extra money.a 50's American thug,stupid acting,can't speak his line in English well.besides get 3 times of original salary in last shooting day,also make his agent pay 1600RMB to the taxi driver!this money is agent's own money,the film company only pay publc bus ticket,it's 200RMB.

without your agent,you can't get this job.can't get pay.any agent don't want work for free.if you are agent,I am sure you don't want work for free as well.any business you do with people.you can't only thinking about your pay.anyone want get more money,you can get more or less, depend on your manner to the person you need contact.are you robber? do you think you can force someone give you money? is it work everytime? if you are selfish,acting as a thug,I am sure you will earn less money.lost more job opportunity.if you can try to learn to be a nice guy.understanding other people,friendly,cooperate,respect the people you work with.I am sure you will earn more money,get more work opportunity.stop attack other people,try to learn to be a nice guy.and try to learn deal with people in smart way.

someone remind be alert to Jasmine.someone post her photo,phone number,someone said find her. it;s ridicious too!

1.obviously,not only one chinese woman name is Jasmine.besides,it;s an English name.everyone can use it as her name if she like,or if she don't like it anymore,she can change it.don't need register in police station.many people have the experience change mobile card.including foreigner.it;s not lie.maybe just other mobile card cheaper,or someone move to another city.

avoid jasmine not mean you can avoid be cheated.the problem is not jasmine or someone else.what the point is are you stupid?

if you don't know how to avoid be cheated,I might can give you some suggest.
1,do some research,the local average salary and CPI.the company you work with,where they come from? from Kunming? or Beijing? or abroad company? how big this film?do they have hire femous actor? a femous actor will take most big part of budget,so the producer will try to reduce other's pay.

if you do acting work for film,foreign extra's pay is about 10 times with chinese extra,sometime more than 10 times.12 times.物以稀为贵 because foreigner people more less than chinese.if you get a role,the pay depend on do you fit this role? do you acting well? can you be trust? because role not only one day's work.and how much the company can afford? if they think your price is expensive,one,they looking for other person,two,they canceled this small role.or replace by a chinese actor.these is a little complicated.one way is simple.what you want? just money? more money? or you want have fun as well?do you satisfy the price offer? you think how much you worth to be pay? are you professional actor? can you speak line in chinese very well? and acting well? do you have experience? how long? is it possible someone can replace you?

few years ago,an Italian girl come to Kunming,she is 180cm tall,very good shape,and beautiful.she was a model in Italy.she ask 2500RMB,she just work 2 hours in a downtown hotel.the price is quiet expensive in Kunming.the AD try to find other foreign girl,in whole Kunming,no one else is fit for this work.and the boss insist want her.so finally,they pay her 2500RMB.althought the AD angry about it.also,because she is too expensive,after that,I didn't heard she get another similar job and similar pay in Kunming.

2.what the guy's purpose if he said Jasmine is bad? maybe it's another agent? or this guy want do agent work?try to convince foreigner trust him.or some guy is a good agent...that's not matter who is good or bad.the most importent point is who can offer you a work,can pay you money? if I am a shareholder,I don't care the CEO's personal moral,I am care about did he can earn more money for me?

few years ago,a German guy broken his head in a bar,his agent help him go to hospital,cook food for him,but this German guy never grateful for it.it's just an example.some foreigner don't care how many things the agent did for him,and these things is not agent's work.we all should realize,business is business.

3.actually,all these foreigner in Kunming,no one is really professional actor or model.agent also not real agent.
the real agent get his commission in 20%-30% of actor's pay.in china some new singer or actor,the agent company take 50%.and this actor have to sign a few years contract with this agent company.and this actor have to promise,all his work have to though his only one agent.anyway,agent should be happy if she can get a high price from a film company.don't forget,where the money come from? not from the agent!so,if the film company can pay you more,agent don't care about it.
if you just a foreigner in Kunming, you are not a real actor,you don't work with only one agent,you don't have few years contract with your agent.the agent here also not only do the agent work,she/he also need translate for you,teach you acting,or catwalking.spend more time than you when you working.the film company come to Kunming shooting,they dont need real actor,all they want is westren face.extra and some small role.so,don't expect you can get a actor's pay.and your agent get 20-30% commission.everytime,this kind of part-time work,the price is different,depend on what kind of work? how long? where? the company big or small?how much budget they have?how is your value?you can't make the price,agent can't decide the price too.

Related forum threads

Login to post