GoKunming Forums

Which milk?

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

I find most of the Chinese brands low in protein and very high in sugars. The milk is almost sickly sweet.

Which Chinese brand has a normal sugar amount?, as in 5.0 instead of 8.1?

And where do I find that?

Thanks.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is an organic milk. It comes in a carton with red writing on it.

It is easy to find as it is about 15 RMB for a carton.

Can't remember the brand name though. But have seen it in a few supermarkets near us.

As it is organic, it may not have sugar or melamine in it.

somewhere (29 posts) • 0

oh baby, it's china, melamine is everywhere.
find the chinese it says '纯牛奶', avoid the word ''.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

aaronb
We buy refrigerated carton or bottled milk for the kids. It has the more natural unsweetened flavor. A lot of the milk in those foil pouches have bizarre pasty flavors - highly suspicious of preservatives. The bottled milk is reminiscent of the ancient times, when bottles were delivered to the home - and one had to shake the milk to mix that layer of cream at the top.

You can also look for the Australian brands (aka Metro, MAYBE walmart, carrefour) - but as always - buyer beware (caveat emptor). I'm kind of browned off at Haoyouduo after picking up hawked tissues on sale (the tissues were about HALF the size of the box) and knock-off cans of tuna - more salt than tuna (ahh...starkist - wherefore art thou...probably walmart, carrefour, or metro). And they chased away the bicycle carts so the only way to haul my grocery booty home is flag down taxis again (I hate that).

Oh...if anyone's interested - I MAY have an old list of products Metro sells. There's an online Metro up in dongbei that delivers. Has anyone thought about starting up a grocery delivery service a la lazybones?

RayinKM (16 posts) • 0

Second 'somewhere', we had luck with '纯牛奶' (pure milk) at the refrigerated section of Walmart (for as low as 8 quai) or your local specialty milk shop. Being refrigerated as opposed to be in room temperature hopefully means it is real milk.

Another confusing part is that the date on the top of the carton usually is the Produced On date instead of the Expiration Date. I'd try to find something made in the last day or two. Beware even Walmart let their milk go bad. We fell for a buy one get one free trick there and both of them expired in a day or two so we had to throw one out anyway. So go by the date on top and don't buy anything more than few days old.

BarbaraBarbara (63 posts) • 0

We tried the New Zealand Anchor UHT milk at our cafe, Slice of Heaven, and found it incredibly good. It sold out really quickly with customers regularly coming back for more. We will have more in next week and try to always have it from then on. You can get this milk at Metro for about 17 kuai a litre. We haven't been able to match their price but have to sell it for 20 kuai. Good milk from grass fed cows with NO melamine or sweet taste. Would you guess I'm a Kiwi?

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

Since I got to Kunming, I have been buying the one in the red carton-supposed to be from australia called Alti-plano, "A ta lan" in Chinese. It is also too sweet.
Walmart only has these sweet milks. No cane sugar added, just a huge amount of extra lactose and carbs.

Thanks Barbara, I will try the milk you mentioned.

RayinKM (16 posts) • 0

Actually, we have been drinking 雪兰 brand 鲜牛奶 (fresh milk) from Walmart by "New Hope Dairy" the English name is on the carton (which is mostly blue and white). It also says it is "Green Food", i.e. from an organic farm.

It describes as 全脂巴氏杀菌乳 "Whole Fat Pasteurized Milk"
配料鲜牛奶 "Ingredient: Whole Milk"

It costs 9 quai a liter. To each his own.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Aaron, i have seen the milk you mentioned. It doesn't in fact come from Australia despite what it may appear to show and say on the box. It's made up in Hubei or Hebei. Ive been using the Anchor milk Barb was talking about. It may be UHT but it still tastes better than any of the domestic milk I've tried.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@barbara: Thanks - that's the one! As Chingis points out - beware the fake and or misleading ads implying kiwi milk. If the English is chinglish - it's highly probable the product is fake.

Related forum threads

Login to post