GoKunming Forums

Considering options to treaching at colleges

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

Okay, that should be "teaching" at colleges in the title...sorry

I am considering some options to teaching English at colleges, and in particular private colleges. Just for a a change and maybe find something rewarding. I work a lot of hours and the students over the years have become trying. They are typically despondent and expect to get the school's paper whether they come to class or not. Recently I had a strange incident with the school administration too I felt was unprofessional. It was an extreme situation and to be fair after six years in China it was the 1st such situation, but it has me thinking.

I am going to meet someone next week who works at

l a Language School (not a college or University) and wonder what people think of these in general? I know a lot of people like the v-zisa and long holidays of the colleges but I found that a z-visa can burden you too and put you in a precarious situation if ties with the school suddenly become threatened for any reason.

There is a Henderson's across the street form me now. I have checked about Aston and Robert's and found the people I have talked to so far as pretty nice. I worry as I am 50ish though look about 35 or 40 on a bad day. I know some older folks who have worked at Language schools and were happy, but is that is a major issue. Some ads seem to be looking for young pretty faces but I know China respects age and experience a bit man than lets say Japan or even the US.

>Are visas a big problem?
>Can you swing a comfortable life with PT work? In Beijing lots of people work PT and do well. I know colleges do not pay as well and usually can work you harder.

>Are class hours long?
>I have heard parents can be a problem? Is this exaggerated? They can be in private colleges too.

I don't have some of the problems some of us laowai bring into jobs here (I don't drink or run around all night) and like teaching and interacting, but a few incidents this year have left me feeling lacking in confidence and I have suffered an ex-pat teacher set-back it seems and want to get past it. I am thinking of doing some PT (only a few hours per week) at a language school to maybe get some zest back in the gig. Looking for tips or advice is all. If anyone else has had a set back I feel better to know I am not alone. Feels that way a lot in China.

Thanks
Bill Courtney

no way (104 posts) • 0

are visas a big problem?

only if you want work legally.
in that case be sure the school is

authorized to hire foreigners.

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

No Way:

I will make sure to do that. Thanks as I do want to be legal.

no way (104 posts) • 0

ooooh, that was your other post. you're married.
i think that means you have to choose between the
Z-visa and the L-visa.

if you take the Z-visa, it's tied to your employer, so you
can legally work.

If you go the spousal L-visa route, (i've heard) you can now
get 2-year renewals, but you can not be legally employed.
Plenty of folks on L's work quietly, despite the risk.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

To claw back that confidence you need to work with motivated students.

One problem with some language schools is that you rarely get to teach a stable class: patchy attendance, new students coming and old ones leaving. Parents have unreasonable expectations and many kids don't wish to be there. In short, not much sense of achievement or job satisfaction for you.

Students studying to go abroad are often well motivated since they have a goal and, usually, a prescribed level in an International standard test to overcome. Possible route for you?

Also, are you being too hard on yourself? There are not too many teachers around that haven't had bad days and bad experiences.

Administrators are sometimes just money grabbing clueless numpties, ignore that lot and focus on good students who appreciate every ounce of your effort - you know - the ones you would work 18 hours a day for if you had to. . Good luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post