GoKunming Forums

DIY stuff, tools, wood etc.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Be careful with the green stuff. It may be the green stuff that was taken off the market in Europe in about 1990. Carcinogenic.

beni9 (7 posts) • 0

heat treated (impregnated) wood in green or brown color is still widely available and used in Europe.
the treatment is done by specific salts - they are not poisonos to humans, but they are surely have effects on the ground and water if washed out by rain.

So its on the builder to add another lawyer of protection to minimze these effects.

I guess you talk about the wooden railway sleeper - they are treated with kind of tar and forbiden to sell outside of the railway sector.

Happy DIY

The green stuff I am talking about that was taken off the market in about 1990 in EU was a green painted on wood treatment with a fungicide that was harmful to humans.

We got an H&S notice to handle any existing timbers with gloves and avoid other contact with exposed skin as it was taken into the body through the skin (adsorbed?).

That does not mean that other green product is not safe.

danielgrenz (32 posts) • 0

I went to a nice tool-shop area of town today. It is on Huan Cheng Dong Lu (east ring road) between Dongfeng Lu and Tuodong Lu. On the west side of the road there are numerous tool and hardware shops. You can get pretty much any tool (even replacement chuck keys for drills!) and good sizes of bolts (I bought 12cm long 10mm diameter bolts).

@mike4g_air floated the idea of a co-op workshop.

I will be returning to Kunming in the Autumn.
I have space, some tools, a vehicle (for lumber) and lots of time. Not interested in running a co-op but I am interested in sharing resources and skills.

If you have skills, experience, tools, books, plans, or something else to add to the pot, I would like to hear from you. Please contact me by PM.

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

Does anyone know where to get untreated wood? I'm looking to build a bee box, and bees don't like plywood or chemicals in their house. I have all the tools I will need (or my roommates do), just need some wood. Any info would be good. And I am aware of the existence of the internet, taobao, etc so no need to mention that. Thanks!

atomic (156 posts) • 0

Does anyone know where I can get a wrecking bar and nail extractor pliers? I have tried B & Q and the small hardware shops without luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post