GoKunming Forums

Social networking websites in China?

WANGMANG (4 posts) • 0

Hi,

I am starting a business these days and wanted to ask if anyone knows what are the most popular social networking websites in China? I am specially looking for business related social networks, such as the Chinese Youtube, Linkedin, Slideshare etc.

Thanks very much!

Banjoe (9 posts) • 0

Prepare to be disappointed; there is not the same level of online social networking in China. After the dust settles it may be more useful for commercial marketing purposes, but it's not there yet.
The company I work for does 80% of our marketing worldwide through online social networking, and it's clear that the Chinese sites are not developing on a strictly parallel track. I welcome words from someone deeply involved in this (hell, I'll hire you!), but my understanding is that for commercial services QQ might actually be useful.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

Hi Banjoe, Actually the Chinese are far more engaged in social media than people in the West. While people in the West are likely to belong to a social network and read social media sites (often in a purely passive consuming way), Chinese people are far more likely to actively engage and publish content, ie. talk about companies and brands.

"Chinese netizens actively engage in discussions that could directly affect companies. A recent study by OgilvyOne in China found that 55 percent of China's netizens had initiated or participated in online discussions about companies. Understanding social media is no longer a luxury for companies operating in China—it is an imperative. Formerly, a lack of engagement with netizens could be considered a lost opportunity. Now, the penetration and impact of social media is such that failing to understand what consumers are saying about a company online has become a business risk."

taken from www.thomascrampton.com/[...]

Disclaimer: I actually now work for a company doing Social Media marketing and also providing leading Social Media Monitoring technology. (www.sinotechgroup.com.cn & www.digitaljungle.com.cn)

JustSomeGuy (23 posts) • 0

LinkedIn seems to be fairly popular with the english speaking portion of Chinese. I've seen a Kunming group on LinkedIn and even have a local in my network.

Related forum threads

Login to post