GoKunming Forums

Do Kunming Drivers Know they are Inconsiderate and Dangerous

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

So now it is ok to say it is cultural.

Like I said, I am not angry with China. I am angry with the lack of thought. That puts lives in danger.

I do see thoughtless drivers back home. And I do see much more lack of thought from drivers here than back home.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@neddy
Just to be clear - I love/hate where-ever I live (and my neighbors aren't particularly fond of me either). My philosophy on modern societies, crime, democracy (in China) etc is generally abrasive and inflammatory...so social media's a great place - I can rant and people can ignore me...win-win (unless they DON'T ignore me).

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

neddy, i've tried to escape several times. without any success. ha ha.

it's not only the drivers' faults. the streets are simply too congested.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Good advice - leave things as they are and accept everything as is and don't try to change anything. Ridiculous!!!

indosailor (13 posts) • 0

Making a U-Turn in a roundabout is right out ignorance. It is not lack of thought, it is the selfishness of the chinese social structure that is reflected in the traffic behavior. Any participation in the traffic, regardless if using a bicycle, a scooter, taxi or own car always means facing the danger of an accident. Here more than any other place I lived. They just don't give a shit!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Need/Reason → Behavior → Habit → Custom → Tradition → Culture

Seems that a few people here do not understand that Culture is nothing more than a Habit that is repeated over time by many people. Like picking your nose in public or shooting a snot rocket out of your nose in public and wiping on anything nearby.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@HFCampo: your diagram is simplistic, I'm afraid, due to vagueness of terms, vagueness of who the 'many people' are, and to its simple linearity.
Question: what may cause cultural change - people just decide to discontinue common habits? I don't think so.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

On the contrary, people are creatures of habit and seek the familiar - they will NOT discontinue a habit unless there is some type of incentive or exterior force. A good example is the anti-smoking campaigns that have made it more difficult for people to smoke as well as a negative stigma against smoking. In the past, smoking was made cool or glamorous now it is unhealthy and ignorant.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Do Kunming drivers know that they are being inconsiderate and dangerous and do not care or are they driving around in an ignorant bliss?

NO!

No was my answer to the first question.

Situation awareness is very low in East Asia, maybe because they are used to doing things in groups...?..a mystery, even to the air industry.

My answer to the latter is " Yes " With proper education most would understand the risks they put themselves and others in and mostly because they would understand the consequences of costs involved. But mostly because of the cost.......

Mike

Related forum threads

Login to post