GoKunming Forums

The salt of the Earth

sallysally (8 posts) • 0

aka the ignorant masses.

What are they doing now?
——————————————-
But shoppers have been buying up vast quantities of salt in many parts of the country, partly in the belief that it could protect them against radiation.

Potassium iodide, a salt, protects the thyroid gland against radioactive iodine.

Some people also seem to believe future supplies of salt could be contaminated by radiation leaking from the Daiichi nuclear plant, so they are buying up stocks now.
—————————————————-

I would not mind, but I need some salt for cooking, supermarket sold out and little old ladies stocking up on soy sauce now.

This rush maybe started by SMS hoax

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

When in China do as the sheep. I better get my hands on some salt right away. On a similar note I've heard that smearing a thin layer of peanut butter all over your body will protect you from radiation poisoning as well. I'll be in Walmart if anyone needs me.

Pierre (46 posts) • 0

I went to Metro today and it was unbelievable. People were just hording soy sauce. I told myself they must have a real bargain on those 2 liter bottles as nearly everybody was carrying at least 2 of them. Then it also was packed, it seriously felt like the last day before Spring festival and when I could cues ended within the first aisles (next to the oil and chocolate).

OK I know that in Europe we have normal salt, and iodinized salt because iodine levels are very low in normal salt. I know too that you can't (CAN'T!!!) counter a radiation poisoning with iodine salt (I guess the amount of salt you'd have to take to counter the radiation effects would kill you before the radiation would - *thinks* I'll check the news tomorrow...).
And then I have another question: Is salt in China iodinized?

sanyiseul (104 posts) • 0

The small shops around Beichen were selling their salt this morning for 15 to 20 yuan per bag. And right now you can get the last bags for 30 or more yuan.....
Ok, if anybody needs salt, I bought some kilos 2 weeks ago. I am willing to seel it for 150 per bag :-). Just kidding.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

OK, so how do you start the SMS hoax about the peanut butter then?

Actually, most salt that I see in China is not iodized.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

There is no way that salt is going to protect anybody from radiation. But who cares? It's a long way from Japan to Kunming and the wind is blowing in the other direction.

Just in case I had a strong dose of peanut butter!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

On the plus side:
My wife had some surgery in January. The hospital asked her to bring four bags of salt which would be used to help put pressure on the vein in the leg, then they used a different technique and we still have the four bags of salt. Anybody need some at an excessive price?

Related forum threads

Login to post