GoKunming Forums

Dinosaur park between Kunming and Chuxiong

MelDwy (1 post) • 0

Has anyone been to the dinosaur park - Lufeng Dinosaur World - about 80km from Kunming, just off the highway to Chuxiong/Dali?

What was it like?

chris (144 posts) • 0

I went there a year ago. It was much more theme park than museum, but the dinosaur fossils were still pretty interesting despite being a small part of the experience.

Overall, I'd say it's a good place to take kids but if you're an adult and a dinosaur/fossil geek, don't expect to have your mind blown.

fabey (124 posts) • 0

"A new highway that opened [last] Friday halves the travel time from Kunming to Dali to 2.5 hours. The new Chuxiong—Dali highway connects Chuxiong Yi autonomous prefecture, which lies between Kunming and Dali, to Dali, serving as the main economic trunk line linking Kunming to west Yunnan."

subsites.chinadaily.com.cn/kunming/2022-04/01/c_729793.htm

Also, a bump for GoKunming's Destination China short video uploaded a month ago (co-produced by Yereth) titled "A life called Dali (2022)." Beautifully done by the team:

www.youtube.com/c/DestinationChina

Btw, for those taking the train/HSR to Dali from Kunming in recent days. A negative nucleic acid test result within 48 hours is required.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Always amazes me that people use an old post with a completely different topic to add something completely new on a completely different topic ;-)

fabey (124 posts) • 0

Think of it as excavating dino fossils. Updated to be displayed for the public.

Sometimes the extracted fossils reveal more about their changing environments than those extinct species unearthed. =)

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

And be aware that in this context Dali = Xiaguan and not Dali old town which is still half an hour further.

fabey (124 posts) • 0

Adding to that, just outside Dali station of Xiaguan, bus #8 takes you directly to old town in 30min. 3 yuan. 6:30 - 21:00

In Yereth's video, the hotel replicas of Greece Santorini is located on the opposite east side of the lake. From same station, ride haidong zhuanxian (海东专线) bus line to get there. 5 yuan.

The new Pullman Hotel opened several months ago at the south edge of Erhai lake port of xiaguan. Moutainscape lake view more breathtaking than that of Dali International Hotel several blocks away.

fabey (124 posts) • 0

Update:

Nucleic acid test not required for Dali Station from Kunming, unless you've been to medium or high risk areas within 14 days.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

To backtrack to the original topic, there is a review of the park from 2016 on this site:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Does anyone know if the park today operates at same level of quality as witnessed in the article, or has it been improved or fallen from that?

To get there, the article recommends taking bus from Kunming West bus station to Lufeng (1h30min) and then small bus to the park (40min), and leave the park before 16:30 to catch last bus to Kunming.

To connect back to the more recent posts, does the high speed train to Dali stop at Lufeng? That would allow for better options to get there from Kunming - maybe even day visit there and get to Dali by evening.

hvaan (8 posts) • 0

A few months ago we visited the park. Went there by car so I cannot comment on how to get there by public transport. But state of the park is going down compared to our previous visits. When we went there were only few visitors (also because of Covid). I think all in all we might stayed 2 hrs or so.

Related forum threads

Login to post