GoKunming Forums

Well Water Treatment Systems

bucko (695 posts) • 0

This is simply a small tank that mixes salt pellets and water then a hose goes to the water softener column where it is injected via an adjustable metering pump. They are called bromide injectors or salt tanks.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

Thanks, that really helps to know.

Unfortunately it sounds like your system will likely not work for me, as I am on an untreated private well, rather than chlorinated city water. I just spoke with some people at www.cleanwaterstore.com, and it was strongly recommended that I do chlorine injection with 40 gallon retention tank before I add any filters. Iron bacteria is a real problem, and the only way to get rid of it is with a disinfectant. Thankfully at the end of the process, the chlorine can be completely removed with a large carbon filter. For anyone else interested in iron removal, check out the "Catalox" iron removal filters at the cleanwaterstore. It doesn't require any chemicals to regenerate the beads, and apparently they ship to China too. I'm still trying to find out how much the shipping would be.

andrew1960 (9 posts) • 0

Have a talk to Mr Dai. 13708766589 in Kunming
His company builds water purifiers for home and industry. Speaks a little English.
Forget chlorine, UV is the best.
best way to get rid of iron bacteria is to pump it into a holding tank with aeration and draw off the top. The Fe oxidises and precipitates out.
Check for all heavy metals, arsenic has been a problem in some areas. Not industry related btw
Would definately send water samples OS for testing, Aust labs are some of the best, but I'm naturally biased there!

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

I understand your aversion to chlorine, due to the creation of disinfection byproducts, but I have yet to meet anyone that ecommends UV and aeration to get rid of iron bacteria. Everything I have read indicates that UV is completely ineffective against IB and that chlorine injection is the only real way to deal with the problem.

I probably wouldn't mind having UV in conjunction with chlorine though, to kill viruses.

andrew1960 (9 posts) • 0

Yes, agreed AC, what I said was use the aeration and precipitate process for the Fe. I should have clarified, the UV is used to kill off the (other) bugs

Related forum threads

Login to post