GoKunming Forums

Wanted VPN

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Question - - can one also get TV programs via VPN? I'm not that "electronic" literate - - as I remember the thrill of our first TV (black & white - 8" screen in a massive cabinet)
Cheers - - JJ

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Not VPN, but I watch a lot of TV on PPTV.com.

They have a lot of US TV series. Madmen, Grey's Anatomy, Monk, etc. And it is free.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I've been using Witopia for a year with no problems, but in the past week I'm having trouble connecting to many of their servers. Tech support helped me get a connection on one by modifying the config file, but the problem seems to have spread to their other servers now.

JustSomeGuy (23 posts) • 0

Yeah, I've had similar problems with Witopia - all servers seem to be affected. A few days ago I abandoned Witopia for ExpressVPN (for 1 month only - hopefully). That service seems to be working fine.

Hopefully Witopia can get the issue resolved soon so I can continue to use my remaining 8 months of service...

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

tigertiger,

Thanks so much for the free TV/movie link. Though navigating through the PPTV site is a challenge unless one has a working knowledge of written Chinese, but at least I can now watch archived TV programs & movies during life's idle moments.

My Landlord has been very delinquent and still has not applied (I understand it requires the apartment owner to apply with proof of apartment ownership documents) for a cable TV connection/account since my relocation to the current address last August.

If I am not asking too much, do you happen to know of a site or sites that give access to real time English news programs?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

hongx...
Why bother with sites - just go visit any internet bar. Comfy, smoke, drink, leave a mess behind for someone else to clean up...just like living at home with mom.

aiyaryarr
Welcome back.

SATELLITE
Try satellite (for foreigners). IFFF you can get it installed and working correctly (ALL CHANNELS!). and comes with oodles of mindsucking content - depending on which plan you elect. Search the KM forum threads - last year there was a small group trying to make a biz of selling satellite dishes and services to expats. ALSO - before you buy - ask for referrals AT LEAST ONE YEAR OLD - as they will have had to purchase a new subscription - which can be problematic if the installers vaporized and didn't leave an alternative source.

CAVEATS
Most satellite services require an annual or monthly subscription service card - available only through the installers nebulous channels - so try to find an installer/reseller with reasonable longevity - for Kunming - anything beyond a year is truly amazing.

Also - (did some research last year - but since I rarely watch TV - the WHY question kept nagging)...anyway - Kunming seems to be on the fringe for most satellite coverage - which means reception can be SPOTTY (aka snowy), which gets progressively worse with bad weather and age (as the dish rusts, cables age, and entrepreneurial neighbors figure out how to siphon your signal with inline splitters, and occasionally, neighbors hanging their wet or damp laundry in the LOS of your dish. Installations of solar panels and other nefarious metal objects also serve to whack your LOS (line of sight) signal. Bigger dishes mean more signal (RF falls off as 1/r cubed - or something like that - can't remember Planck's law ... or was that Maxwell's Equations?)...

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

if you've got 12vpn just found an awesome new feature for iphone users. Its called connect on demand. it just starts the vpn whenever you open twitter or facebook app or connect to blocked site. don't even need to think about it anymore. It requires you to remove all current profiles and reinstall the IPSEC profiles from 12vpn.com/ios

sadly the 12vpn site is blocked right now so you need a vpn to even reach it.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

actually the connect-on-demand feature only works when accessing facebook, twitter or youtube. I thought it could automatically find if a site is blocked but not so. Nevermind, its still a pretty cool feature that saves a bit of time.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.