GoKunming Forums

Looking for list of decent private schools in KM to work at

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

I live have lived in China for about 6 years and in Kunming for 4 of those years. I actually live a bit on the outside by the new 3rd ring on the NW side and work at a private school called Jing Ji Guan Li Xue Yuan.

The future of the school is actually up in the air and the entire school seems destined to move to Anning in a couple years or so. No desire to live in Anning.

Though I have lived in KM all this time I really don't know what other options there are for decent private colleges. I understand all the public schools are moving down to Cheng Gong soon and many have begun some classes already down there.

Just looking for a list of private schools some people may be working out now and an email or contact. There are no yellow pages here and while I can find some info online it is not easy really to know about what is out there totally. Someone just told me about a couple schools I had never even heard of before.

I need to start looking into other campuses eventually and the sooner the better.

You post the info here to share it and/or contact me directly at:

billy_dan_courtney@yahoo.com

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Hi Bill

I can't give you any answers, as I am new to Kunming. But one thing I would add, is that you find out about specific campuses as well. There is one well know school with about 30 campuses.

The culture in each campus can be different. I once worked for an international company (not a franchise) and the local director was openly hostile to foreign teachers. She even espoused her disdain. She said that we were all a waste of time and refused to process any 'Z' visa. She said that the company was not a visa service for expats.

In another place the admin/sales manager was a real piece of goods, who would raise customer expectations to overly high levels, just to get her commission. But when the teacher fails to deliver the unreal, who gets blamed?

In both the above cases, it was individuals at the campus level that were the problem

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Hi Bill

I've worked at Robert's School for four years very happily. They have centres around Kunming. Run by an English guy and his Chinese wife, it has a great atmosphere and is definitely in it for the "education" rather than just as a "business". It's one of the largest private language schools in Kunming and has been around for 10+ years. They usually have vacancies for professional, qualified foreign teachers, and will arrange work visas for foreigners who join the school. The main HQ is near JianSheLu, NW of Green Lake. Contact is rslchina@yahoo.co.uk or drop me a PM.

Queensway (9 posts) • 0

Robert's really? I've heard bad things from former employees, both foreigners and Chinese. Their screening used to be terrible and they've had to fire alcoholics more than a couple of times. I guess firing them isn't a bad thing on the other hand.

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

Tigertiger

Luckily I have not run into any situations like that yet but have heard of them. I have been treated fairly in China so far with a few nightmare situations. I would be looking for a college if possible as that is what I have done for 6 years. I have known a couple guys who left schools to work for businesses only to come back later unsatisfied with the experience. I cannot see myself wanting to work for a business in China other than these schools, which are run like businesses really. The only qualification many students seems to have is the fact their parents can pay the tuition. But I have come to accept that and it is nto an issue any more for me... usually.

Ocean

Roberts is a language traning center right? Not really a school. I mean, it is not a college or high school that has a language department, right? Not sure. I actually have their number on my cell phone and was going to check into for PT work if I needed to do that. I know some people prefer the training center route and the shorter contracts and usually higher pay.

I am looking for a college type environment only because I have done that for so long and I know a bit about how the system works. But I will save your info okay and get back to you. Do they process Z visas or only travel visas? Some language centers do not really want to, or able to, do Z visas I have heard.

Queensway

Well we had an American guy here at this college who decided the restroom was too far for him one night when her was judging a competition totally blasted and decided to take a leak in a classroom and got caught. I will probably, like I said, try my hardest to stick with a college for the predictable environment, lack of kids (with parents watching and judging) and long holidays :)

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

BillDan - yes, you're right. Robert's is a private language school, primarily catering for kids. I got confused by your use of "school" which doesn't imply college/uni in British English. Sorry! Robert's arranges "Residents Permits" for it's foreign teachers - valid for a year, multiple entry.

Queensway - I think perhaps you've been misinformed. I'm not aware of any "alcolohics" having worked for the school. With about 100 staff, people do join and leave now and again, but teachers being "fired" is extremely rare. That's partly due to the robust screening, training and support given to new teachers. Foreign teachers, for example, have to be be well-qualilfied and professional (degree/TEFL/experience) in order to qualify for the Resident's Permit.

Hi Bill

A bit of confusion here because you used the term 'private schools'.

Now is perhaps a bad of year to be looking. Most of the public sector schools/colleges and private sector schools (not language training centres) are now thinking about recruiting for September. Because of the academic year most have contracted staff running until June.
You may need to consider working at training centres, at least until Sept.

Some of the universities and colleges also have 'spin offs' that may recruit on an ad-hoc basis. For the next semester (in two weeks). I have also recently come to Kunming and was lucky, as I am replacing a Chinese teacher who have been promoted to set up a new 'school' within the college, and even this is only part time.

Part-time is the other route. Working part-time is a good option. You can work for several employers at the same time. The rates of pay are higher, and you have the power to say 'no'. You also get to check out the culture in several institutions, before you decide for next year. The downside is that PT work won't get you a visa.

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

Tigertiger

Yea I did not really explain everything in detail. I am actually going to stay at this school for this year and next year even unless something happens. I just don't believe in waiting until the feces hits the fan to start acting on something like this. The school I am at is moving to Anning but not by (I am told anyway) next year. Who knows right.

I just cannot find a list of colleges. Like a yellow pages list. I would then begin to just go to the schools with a packet of NFO and barge in on the foreign language department and woo them over (in theory anyway.)

PT would only be to suppliment my income and I want to keep my multiple entry Z-visa which I have had for 6 years and it has been great.

I guess I was hoping some teachers out there at some schools would see this and get back with some info. Fair and balanced opinion. I know sometimes foreigners can rag on a half way decent school and make it sound like a concentration camp, which it may well be. But sometimes we are the problem too and I would probably go to the school and get a feel for it.

But I appreciate you getting back to me and I would like to hear more of your experiences if you like.

Thanks

Bill

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

Ocean

No problem there. I usually refer to places like Robert's as a school too. In fact it is a school of course. But I was trying to make a distinction for this thread is all. I am not ruling it out. I have a degree and ESL certificate and 6 years experience and speak a little Chinese. I hope I can keep your info and get back with you later for some details okay.

Thanks much

Bill

Regards the move to Anning.

These things tend to happen later, rather than sooner. In my last university job the imminent move to the new campus took 2 years. And even then they moved in with no computers of furniture. Ho-hum!.

I hear good things about Henderson, from a Chinese ex-employee.
I don't know what the full time rate is for expats. But for Chinese teachers it is (if I remember) 4800rmb/m. That is good money for local teachers.
The only downside is that you would be expected to work at several campuses, this requires travel. But then other people might value the diversity.

Henderson is however a language training school, not a public sector school.

Related forum threads

Login to post