GoKunming Forums

Spending the summer in Kunming

AnnAurora (36 posts) • 0

Hey Folks!

I was thinking about spending my summer holiday in Kunming. I know the weather isn't the best at that time of the year but I really can't get away at any other time than that. So I was wondering what it's like living in Kunming during the summer. Especially thinking about job possibilities (since I'm only staying for three months). (I have lived in Kunming before whilst studying but it wasn't during the summer and now I will have to find a job as well).

Most schools advertising for English teachers seem to require the applicant to be a native speakers among else. How picky are they usually? (I'm from Sweden).

Happy New Year and Cheers!

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Sadly for the students, most but not all schools, are nowhere picky enough. As long as you look foreign and can string a few words together in English you should be ok to take part in the great language school rip off.

Look through other threads on this site regarding this topic to safeguard your own interests as well as the interests of potential students.

Good luck and enjoy Kunming.

zhubajie (57 posts) • 0

Summers in KM are not bad. Clouds keep the sun from getting too hot. Carry an umbrella or a rain poncho for showers, and you'll do OK.

I'm sure your English is plenty good enough. Swedish is a related language, after all.

Chinaphile (2 posts) • 0

I spent all of a week and a half in Kunming in in July 2009. The weather was wonderful—highs in the mid 70s to lower 80s, occasional showers, broken cloud cover most of the time. (Kunming is known as the Spring City, you know.) I have been following Kunming's weather since I was there—I am considering living there after retiring from my job in the U.S. I actually like a bit of cold weather in winter, and Kunming just suffices. As far as summer is concerned, it doesn't get very hot there. The main reason for that is the relatively high elevation.

Chinaphile (2 posts) • 0

Speaking of teaching English in Kunming, can anyone give me an idea what a native speaker with a BA in English and half a TESOL certificate can expect to be paid?

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

They prefer native speakers but as long as you are reasonably fluent -as most Scandinavians are- it shouldn't be much of an issue. Your biggest problem is that you're only here for 3 months. I can't think of any of the more serious schools being interested in that, but on the other hand many schools offer special summer classes at that time so I think it's going to be hard but not impossible. Finding an apartment for only 3 months can be a hurdle as well.

If I were you, and I didn't have any special connection to Kunming but really wanted to stay in Yunnan, I'd save up 20.000 kronor, forget about working during the summer and go to stay in Dali, Lijiang, Zhongdian or Xishuangbanna instead.

PS. The summers are traditionally wet as you know but the last two years they've been nice, comfy and reasonably dry, so maybe 2011 will be as well?

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

@Danmairen: "but the last two years they've been nice, comfy and reasonably dry, so maybe 2011 will be as well?".

Much of the 'comfy' period you refer to encompassed one of the worst droughts in living memory, so yes - "reasonably dry". Along with farmers and many others I sincerely wish for a more typical rainy season.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

@Nnoble. Of course I am aware of that. I am not addressing a drought-stricken farmer though but someone who asked what it's like to live in Kunming during the summer.

AnnAurora (36 posts) • 0

Thanks guys!

The weather probably won't be a problem then :)

However I'm more worried about the job and living situation. Last year I did some random photo shoots and stuff like that but since I have a mutual hate relationship with Jasmine I'm not sure how that's gonna work out this time.

But won't people leaving for the summer let their apartments out just for about three months? Is it common for the English schools to hold summer classes?

AnnAurora (36 posts) • 0

Btw will my simcard still work even though I haven't used it for a year? It had like 80 yuan on it when I left...

Related forum threads

Login to post