GoKunming Forums

Every Foreign English Teacher (FT) , SHOULD

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Might be time to bump this thread yet again. Seems to be plenty of places looking for teachers offering as little as 80 kuai an hour. 80 kuai is probably what the going rate was 10 years ago. Consider that most schools charge 30-40 kuai a student and don't start new classes unless they've got at least 9-10 kids (while planning to stuff as many new ones in during the semester as they can). Unless they are doing quality zhong kao or gao kao English they usually can't charge the parents 40 kuai an hour unless they have a foreign teacher, so basically YOU are the one making their business possible. DON'T accept peanuts while some random Chinese guy pockets 4-500 kuai an hour for your work.

The last two years no regular teachers in Kunming have received any actual salary increase (as far as I know) and most have had to take a real-pay cut due to the 7-8 percent inflation we have in Yunnan. Teaching English classes ought to be paid at LEAST 125 yuan an hour, even though I am guessing very few get that from their employer.

Anyone offering less than 100 kuai an hour is either trying to rip you off, hasn't got a clue, is running a shady business or is just plain unprofessional.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The sad reality is that with competitive wage systems, the teachers willing to work for the lowest amounts set the market rate.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Dang - and I just gave my ayi a CNY100 a month raise - that means I have to go work for another 1.2 hours or something just so I can pay her more to do the same thing.

Guess it's time to ask for a raise...gyahahaha...

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

Key points seem to be:

Most jobs in Kunming offer no visa or return airfare and very few hours.

The pay scale hasn't changed much since you could eat a meal out for 3 rmb. The rent in Kunming is now on par with or above all of China's second cities save the obvious exceptions (Shenzhen, Hangzhou etc). Foreign teachers now can be paid the same as Chinese English teachers.

Teachers seem to feel little responsibility to their fellow teachers to demand higher wages.

Difficulties of laowai living in China won't be communicable to most locals people anytime soon as most haven't lived abroad.

Seems to me the teachers must be responsible for rectifying the situation.

nana81 (3 posts) • 0

I am most appreciative of your offer of employment. It is unfortunate that your
offer arrived when it did, as I have just accept this position as English teancher, if there is opprotunity of hand over to me. Should my
situation change, I will be in prompt contact with you. However, I believe the
firm in which I have chosen to associate with, holds great career promise.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

nana81 (3 posts) • 0

check my letter

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to apply for the position as English teacher in your institution. As requested, I am enclosing a complete job application, my certification, my resume and three references.

The opportunity presented in this listing is very interesting, and I believe that my strong technical experience and education will make me a very competitive candidate for this position. The key strengths that I possess for success in this position

include:

•I have successfully designed, developed, and supported live use applications

•I strive for continued excellence

•I have good experience of teaching

With a University, TESOL and BS degree in Computer Programming, I have a full understanding of the full life cycle of a software development project. I also have experience in learning and good human
communication with environmental skills.

Please see my resume for additional information on my experience.

I can be reached anytime via email at nanabonsu81@yahoo.com or my cell phone, 13164293485.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this employment opportunity.

Sincerely,

Osei Bonsu Kennedy

NB: Please sorry for the late forms and my document. If i did not fill any page or correction please inform me. Thank you for cooperation.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@nana81,

If you are asking for help to correct your letter, in the very least be polite and appreciative in your heading. A simple "check my letter" shows arrogance and rudeness. At best your "request" will be ignored, at worst, you are inviting negative and disdain responses like mine.

Cheers~

Related forum threads

Login to post