GoKunming Forums

Where to buy a (gas powered) motorbike?

somenick (107 posts) • 0

I would describe the Lao border as 'relaxed'. Been there a couple of times, but never crossed with my bike. From what I read, it's easy to get into Laos with a Chinese license plate. Read here for a report of two guys going all over Yunnan-Lao-Thai-Cambodia-Vietnam.. .. read here ..

www.mychinamoto.com/[...]

sumthin (1 post) • 0

Anyone know what the approximate cost of the Suzuki GN250 would be? I realise there's always bargaining, but knowing the price to bargain around would be nice.

thanks!

Huddo (3 posts) • 0

Somenick I have been following those guys, looks like a blast! The only thing stopping me from starting in Houay Xai (catching boat to Chiang Saen, buying a Lao bike) is that I imagine it would be a lot harder getting a Lao registered bike into China than the other way around. I read on a forum here Lao registered cars can get as far as Jinghong with no problems, but not sure what its like for a bike. I know in Beijing that most of the bike riding around use 'borrowed plates' (by that I mean fake), is the case here in Yunnan? cheers.

somenick (107 posts) • 0

There are bikes without plates down here in Yunnan. I've seen the police try to stop some but the bikers just go around them, won't even stop. It's easy to get a bike, and get going without plates, but if someone as much as jumps at your bike and breaks his finger, you're in big trouble. No insurance, you're going to pay through your nose. I don't know about running without plates, I've seen some foreigners here on unregistered bikes... Police are usually lax at night and at lunch time.. But I do get stopped a lot, and they make a big fuss about me riding inside the second ring road, so not sure how the guys without plates get by..

Crossing the border into China on non-Chinese bikes is a big NONO. That's the same for any Chinese border.

Better sign up to Mychinamoto and ask more there... actually you're not the first to ask such questions..

fogdear (99 posts) • 0

somenick how far into town have you ridden on your bike? do the police fine you for being within the 2nd ring road?

somenick (107 posts) • 0

I've been fined once, 200rmb for being inside the second ring road. I'm always riding, all over Kunming, but I know where the picky checkpoints are and avoid them.

Related forum threads

Login to post