GoKunming Forums

Racism in Kundu

IvanArgo (1 post) • 0

I had an off-putting experience in Kundu on Thursday, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I went to a club (I honestly forget the name) with a few Chinese friends, and as I entered, the bouncer pulled me aside and simply said that this club was for Chinese people only. My Chinese friends basically gave him attitude and he backed off, but when I walked around inside, all the staff were staring at me.

I go to Kundu from time to time, and I've become a fan of Soho and a few other places, and this is the first time I've seen anything like this. I'm fairly new to Kunming - is this a common occurrence? Is it legal in China to openly restrict foreigners from entering a club?

Bad Boy (24 posts) • 0

It started a few weeks ago and there is nothing to be done about it. Also after watching BABI bouncers punch my friend for zero reason after they stole his bag its almost better to not give them our money....

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I heard that about a week ago some Aussie travellers had a problem with the DJ in BABI and after that Laowai were not allowed in,,but if you have local friends with you it seems this is not an issue.

tiger1986 (43 posts) • 0

bucko thanks again for ur extremely useful contribution, you are probably an extremely frustrated geek to take time to write such poor reply on this discussion.

The truth is Soho is commonly forbidden to foreigner, and what happened in Babi last week was, one of these Australian tourists literally pee on the DJ mix tables...
So that is why they start to be cautious with foreigner. However I agree than ban any foreigner could look like racism, but it is much more because we suffer of very bad image especially when this kind of event occur.
BTW Chinese customers are more respectful and also spend more money, so...

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

I used to go clubbing in Weimar Germany in the late 1920's and we had the same problem there. I wouldn't worry about it, what the worst that can happen?

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose...

Still, outright racism like this isn't acceptable and shouldn't be allowed.

We had some Chinese at the table opposite us the other week literally vomit all over the floor, leaving a trail to the bathroom. The place was full...

Could someone explain to me why Soho bans foreigners? Is this due to the one who was murdered there before?

tiger1986: how do you justify saying "Chinese customers are more respectful"? That's a blanket statement concerning 1.3 billion people if I've ever seen one.

tiger1986 (43 posts) • 0

Chinese customers are more respectful because (Unlike drunk foreigner tourists) they are not in Kunming just for 1 day or 2, they live here so that they cannot put a big mess and then just disappear. Chinese people care about their face and I saw so many drunk but never dare to pee on DJ mix tables, just because they disagree with music (Unlike foreigner who always know better what good music is).

tim: To you do really 1.3 billion Chinese people go to nightclub? You should go out of the city and check people's real life, because I can tell you only the more privileged can afford to pay 1000 RMB a bottle every time they go out.

Bad Boy (24 posts) • 0

"I can tell you only the more privileged can afford to pay 1000 RMB a bottle every time they go out."
Tiger,

That must be some real good fake booze at the clubs where you go to.

Related forum threads

Login to post