GoKunming Forums

Chinese Residence Visa - Is it single or multiple entries?

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

This is quite an urgent post, but I now have a Chinese residence permit issued for one year (it's a study permit, but it could just as well be a business or work visa as they are usually issued for a year at a time I think).

I am planning a quick business trip to Vietnam on Friday. However, I'm not sure whether my residence visa is single or multiple entry as it does not mention anything on my visa. On my previous visas it specifically mentioned the number of entries, but not this one. I know there wouldn't be enough time to get an amendment made if I am leaving so soon, but some sources told me that my visa is indeed multiple entries even if it doesn't specify it, but I want to be sure first. It would be problematic for me if I was refused re-entry early next week given that I have work commitments later next week and I can only take a couple of days off for this trip, not a week in case I needed to get a new visa or something.

Anyone know more about this?

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

A residence permit replaces a visa. you no longer need a visa for the duration of your residence permit. You can enter/exit at will.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

OK, thank you very much for that info.

By the way, do you know if it's true that foreigners on residence permits need to re-register with the police station to confirm their accommodation after each re-entry? I received an email from the Australian Consulate-General in Guangzhou that mentioned this, but first of all, this seems very tedious just for a short 4-5 day trip, and secondly, my accommodation will be the same after my return anyway, so what's the point of this?

Know anything about this?

巴克菲尔德镇 (13 posts) • 0

Technically, yes, you are supposed to report back each time with your latest entry stamp. In practice, I'm not sure it's terribly important and I'm not sure your local police station really cares too much...so it's kind of up to you how close you want to pay things by the book.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

Thanks to you too for this useful info. I'm wondering if the police station would even know I left the country and came back anyway, since immigration would have to be in cohouts (i.e. fully co-operating) with the police, something I kind of doubt would be the case, but I could be wrong.

-14x- (15 posts) • 0

I asked about it last time I got my resident permit, I dont have to sign up with the local police everytime I reenter the country. only next time I renew the resident permit.

And yes, immigrations definetely has a database which has the information you fill in when you sign up for the residence permit. I crossed from Vietnam into Yunnan and it took them ages and they knew to which household I belong and mentioned the name of the household head/owner of the flat..

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

Ok thanks for that info - so i guess I don't have to bother with telling the police then until my residence permit is up, which makes sense...I just thought the email I received was very strange...

LaoHeMouShu (1 post) • 0

Hey Tom69
I also have a residence permit and would like to ask a similar question.
I plan a trip to Vietnam in the near future and will enter from DongXing.
Did you need to get a visitors visa for Vietnam and so will I need a Vietnam visa, having a Residence Permit from China?
Thanks

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Tom69

I strongly advise you re-register on every re-entry. I forgot after a trip to HK once. When I came to renew my visa it came up. When I went to the police station they did cross check my entry/exit stamps with their records. They wanted to backdate a 500rmb/day fine to my last entry day. We managed to negotiate the fine down, but there was still a fine.

To re-register is a 15 minute job, if you have a photocopy of your previous registration to show them. In fact last time it took me less than 5 minutes to issue a new registration document.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

I agree with @tigertiger's advice above. I once had a "house call" from the police when I forgot after a trip to Hong Kong. Different paichuso's 派出所 have different degrees of strictness about the process, but it makes sense to err on the side of caution. Only takes a couple minutes.

Quote: "...so will I need a Vietnam visa, having a Residence Permit from China?"

Different question and the answer is yes.

Related forum threads

Login to post