GoKunming Forums

Business card print shops

巴克菲尔德镇 (13 posts) • 0

Hi all,

Does anybody have any suggestions for a high quality shop for getting business cards made?

I'm not talking about the run-of-the-mill places on every corner. I'm thinking more like a place that has attentive employees, a variety of good paper, keeps its printers aligned and their color levels calibrated, and maybe, just maybe has invested 10 kuai for a pirate copy of Adobe Illustrator and learned how to use it.

(I don't need a designer, just somebody who can do a good job printing off of a .ai or high-res .jpg file that I provide)

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

Today, having left Kunming, I am unable to provide an actual business name, but with decades of years in publishing, I was always impressed by the quality of many "run-of-the-mill places" in Kunming. Of course, for a high-end magazine, calibrated colour levels, etc., are important, but (standard size) business cards?

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

right out the gate, the OP asks: "Does anybody have any suggestions[...]?" so, that's a big fat 'no' then, right, Bernie? thanks for your contribution.

it seems, if the "run-of-the-mill places" impressed you, you're obviously not on the same page as this poster... i've seen the low production standards this town embraces, and i hope that they change for the better.

and, while i'm at it, what are "decades of years"? last time i checked, decades were always made of years...

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Ah - welcome to Kunming - land of virtually no brands.

There are usually print shops of various quality and pricing outside the universities. For quality print - check their printers and cutting machines. Check their samples - look for companies that can do raised and embossed runs - something far beyond most mom n pop operations.

I've received "I aint paying for this" quality from Kinkos (Beijing) - the alleged kings of b-cards - misalignment, bizarre cutting - truly abysmal quality - and they cost about 2x the local rate. So consistent quality remains elusive.

Look for HUGE or larger printing machines that can handle heavy card stock - as opposed to the mom n pop desktop printer operations Bernie alludes to.

Quality within the same store is also hit and miss - depends on your server AND their mood. If you don't mind traveling (within KM) - let me know and I'll post the phone number for a local print shop outside one of the unis close to me. There are a couple of print shops right next door to each other (typical chinese business cloning).

Related forum threads

Login to post