GoKunming Forums

progressive glasses

kemeilin (17 posts) • 0

Fellow glasses wearers,
I've heard that it's not hard to get an accurate prescription here, but that getting good progressive lenses is not really possible. Has anyone gotten good progressive lenses here and if so where? If not here, have you gotten them in Thailand?

thanks,
kemelin

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

My dad had a pair of progressives done when he came to visit last year. The shop messed up the lenses so he was seeing double when wearing them. They were really nice though, gave us a full refund and admitted that they still hadn't found a domestic lense maker that consistently could provide thin, progressive lenses. I can't believe good progressives can't be made domestically on the other hand so I prefer to think we were just unlucky.

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

I've had friends who have had progressives made in Thailand (Bangkok and Phuket City) with no problems. Prices vary according to what you want. The frames are probably cheaper here if you need to buy them. I bought titanium hinge less frames here, 2 pairs for about 200 rmb. They run $210 each in the States.I've found that most medical facilities in Thailand (that cater to westerners) have exactly the same standards as the US and they are certified by the same accrediting organizations, making Thailand my medical provider of choice here in the East.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I had several pairs done in Bangkok. Very good quality, German optics and done right. Good prices at Top Charlone (sp) optical. They have stores all over Thailand. When I lived in the US I always go there to get my glasses.

LaoBenDan (39 posts) • 0

There is a shop and an optician's practice adjacent (north/west) to the big hospital in XiChangLu. They have a variety of imported frames and lenses from Essilor. A few of our friends and we ourselves got our varifocus photochromic spectacles there and service and quality was just excellent. Prices depend on what you need and what you want, expect price tags from 3.500 to whatever ....
The shop is called : 天明视觉 in the 西昌路295
0871 - 5312888, 5329563

Related forum threads

Login to post