GoKunming Forums

shangri la

rbusch (26 posts) • 0

It's a long trip by land, made longer by the fact that they're doing road work on the way to Dali. I usually take the night bus which is about a 14 hour journey right now. Tickets are about ¥200 and you leave from the west long distance bus station near majie.

The fast way is to fly up there. Takes about 50 minutes.

The Compass Cafe serves up the best western breakfast I've ever had in China. And the Noah Inn has nice clean rooms if you need a place to stay.

Charly Zhao (18 posts) • 0

hi! the highway from Kunming to Chuxiong which is a part of the road from Kunming to Shangri-la has beening buiding, so the time is much longer, u could take the train from Kunming to Lijiang, then take the bus to Shangri-la, of course the fastest way is flight trip

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

If you've never been to a high altitude place before, I would not recommend the flight. The drive allows your body to gradually adjust to the increase in altitude, but if you fly, it hits you all of a sudden.

I'd recommend stopping in Lijiang for a day, since it's about halfway between Kunming and Shangri la in terms of altitude. Then take the bus up during the day, because there's some nice scenery along the way.

spunz (17 posts) • 0

Thanks all!

being from Switzerland (and living in Kunming for more than 6 month now), altitude doesn't really scare me, but my companion will fly in straight from about sea level. So thanks for mentioning it.

Thinking of taking a train (since the highway seems to be a problem) to Dali and Lijiang. From there I heard that the scenery would be a shame to miss. So bus or some guide with a car should be an option, I hope. Maybe including the Tiger leaping gorge.

spunz

ethniceast (33 posts) • 0

thanks again. we do have a place in zhongdian we plan to stay. i just want to make sure i have a second place hence i ask for Noah's Inn number. thanks again.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

Hey there, I've lived in Shangri-la for the past 5 months and strongly recommend the night train to Lijiang. I was miserable on the bus, but that's just me.

There are a ton of places to stay up here. You needn't limit yourself to Noah's. Also, Compass is ok, but they're really expensive. A new place called Marco Polo opened recently that I find more reasonable, and N's Kitchen seems to be pretty popular too. My husband likes their brownies.

If you need help, you can give me a ring. 15288189747

Related forum threads

Login to post