GoKunming Forums

what qualifications you need to translate chinese to english...

Luke81 (10 posts) • 0

you need to be able to speak and read mandarin but do you only need HSK or do you need translation masters degree to begin translation work? from what i can tell most translators work for free for a while to get practise and so that they can be recommended...?

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

I detect that English is your mother-tongue which is the main requirement (International regulations mandate that one must translate into one's own language - something usually disbelieved in China - although this requirement varies for interpreters).

A Masters (Translation) degree is useful, especially if you wish to join a translation society but, having said that, students could join, and it is a great way to conduct the essential networking.

In addition to a language degree, it is almost essential to have another technical qualification, for example, a basic engineering or science college certificate.

I do not think that "most" translators work for free but, in China, you will need to exert enormous effort trying to convince industry that Chinese translators of Chinese into English produce terrible work (You may wish to consider editing).

It takes many, many, years to gain the required experience, but do not give up because it is a great profession ... and quite lucrative in Europe and North America.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

There are plenty of certifications out there, but no actual laws about it. You won't get fined or arrested for translating without the proper certificates.

On the other hand, there are certain certifications and training courses that will greatly increase your employability and the amount of money you can make. For instance, if you get certified as a simultaneous interpreter, you can command some pretty high rates interpreting at conferences, making a good living if you're in the right city. Some gigs (courtroom interpretation, international conferences) will only hire interpreters with certain certifications, and some translation clients need certified translations of contracts and important documents for legal reasons. This can expand your business and raise your price, but it may not be necessary in your particular field.

As for specialization, it really depends on what you want to do. Technical translation can be rather boring, and some highly specialized fields require a bit of work to get into, though they may not actually provide a lot of work down the line.

As a longtime translator, I second Bernie on the mother tongue requirement, and on the fact that it takes a lot of practice. Pick texts from your field and practice translating them. You don't necessarily have to work for free at first (I almost never do, except for some worthy causes here and there), but that's a question of building up a client base, not of learning how to translate.

Nattyg (7 posts) • 0

I have some questions as well for Bernie and Xiefei.

How long have you two been translating?

Which "niche" of translating have you found yourself in, or, do you just do more basic translation?
Can you do translation work here in Kunming?

I am looking to to things with the tourist industry in the US and in China. I am not really sure what kind of translation I should be studying. Any suggestions for books or worksheets or practice exercises?

Thanks

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@Nattyg:

My main niche is Chinese contemporary art, though I do a lot of work in the general cultural field.

I did not take any formal training myself, though there are lots of places that offer such courses, and even degrees. It really depends on whether you want to be a certified translator/interpreter, or if you just want to be a good tour guide.

Contrary to what tigertiger says, there are no strict legal requirements as to who is allowed to translate in China, outside of general employment and tax laws. There are various types of official certifications, but they have nothing to do with the law. Some clients, such as international conferences and the like, will only hire certified interpreters, and you can charge more if you have certification.

The only legal requirement is regarding certified, notarized translations. That comes into play for legal documentation. As it has basically zero relevance to my "niche", I'm basically ignorant about the requirements for that.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I did mean certified translator.

I think that if you wanted to set up a business/register a company as a translator/translation service, or wanted to work for such a company you would need certs.

General translation, anyone can do. My wife translates for me.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

From what I understand you only need the certs to provide certified translations, or if you want to register a company as "XX translation company". My company has translation as part of the business scope on its license, and I routinely issue fapiao for translation services, all without any certification. I just can't say that "this document is a certified translation".

Also, any certification would have little to do with the HSK, if anything. It would be about taking certain training programs, passing examinations, and of course paying fees.

Related forum threads

Login to post