GoKunming Forums

Is it worth it to study Mandarin?

shao1 (15 posts) • 0

From a career perspective, do you think it is a good idea to study Mandarin?

Has anyone on here (non-Chinese) been able to land a job because of their Mandarin skills?

There are many articles from sources such as the Economist and Newsweek that basically say learning Mandarin is a waste of time and money if you are doing it to find a job or enhance your career.

What do you people on this forum think?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

If you want to work in China or Japan - semi-fluency is essential. If you want to work in the USA or other countries and are semi-fluent in Chinese, you'll probably be re-assigned to China, relegated to chaperoning Chinese execs, or you might be able to find work in a Chinese rep office (but unlikely unless you're at a high management level.

Also depends on what field.

Finally, bear in the mind those two rags are American magazines with a definite American journalistic bias. You should examine the authors to determine if they actually have ANY RECENT international work experience - and then draw your own conclusions.

While learning Chinese is admirable - the other key element is learning to understand the multiple cultures and if possible nuances of Chinese business philosophy and their diverse provincial, economic, and ethnical cultural differences. Similar to Europe or even the USA (e.g. Californians vs TX or MA or NY, North vs South, East vs West etc ad infinitum).

Good luck with whatever you choose.

John Xie (109 posts) • 0

You don't have to study Chinese from any career perspective. this is my suggestion. I'm a Chinese. Chinese is a kind of tough language, its realy time killing to grasp it well. and you shall never expect you would speak Chinese as good as MarkRowswell. that guy's Chinese is even better than me. (maybe better than 95% Chinese peple)

but, quite strange to me. most westerner's Chinese is much better than what I expected. many of them are realy talented in language learning. only 2 or 3 years to comunicable level. (a dramatic contrast to Chinese learning English. a college student have at least 9 years "learning" but can hardly use the language).

simply. a westerner's working setting in China. people around you could speak English. (maybe not good enough). but if you don't speak English then you ar forced to study Chinese (since nobody could understand you) or an easier option—-English.

putonghua73 (34 posts) • 0

I agree with the periodicals in question (to an extent) and John Xie, in as much that unless you wish to do translation work, it's marketable technical skills and experience (plus college degree) that are more durable in terms of a career.

Think of it this way, if you have no marketable skills and experience, what do you have to offer that a native speaker cannot do, aside from teach English? If it's a straight up choice between spending the time and money to develop marketable technical skills or learning a language, I'd choose the former every time.

That said, if you already have the requisite skills and experience, then language acquisition would give you an advantage. **

** The main advantage would be in helping you make the relocation and cultural adjustment that much easier. Language acquisition helps you integrate, and increases the probability of success in your chosen country.

I study Mandarin because I enjoy the experience and opportunity to live and study here. After 7 years in Supply Chain Management, in a number of different roles, I deserve this sabbatical!

HenryBenjy (12 posts) • 0

I recently graduated college after studying Mandarin for four years, spending one summer at Middlebury College's immersion program. I would say that it is worth it from a career standpoint. Before I came to apply to teach English (it's a start), I translated my resume into Chinese. I was able to conduct interviews in Chinese. I am able to understand Taxi drivers sometimes, I can understand store adverts, radio, TV, prices, and the locals. I like to think that my ability to speak Mandarin, although not essential to teaching English itself, definitely helped me land a job. Every recruiter was highly impressed. It will help you navigate the office, and also help you not depend on others. You won't get bullshitted as much.

On another level, I like to learn the local language as much as I can whenever I travel to that place. Even if the locals speak mostly English (Denmark, for example) I try to learn the language. It helps you garner respect and at least get around a bit.

Best way to do this? Find a Chinese girlfriend, if you haven't already. That's the top motivation for learning foreign language.

John Xie (109 posts) • 0

I agree finding a Chinese girlfriend is the most efficient way to learn Chinese. You don't even have to put much efforts. its like acquist a mother language.

putonghua73 (34 posts) • 0

That's the theory: what actually happens in practice is that your girlfriend's/boyfriend 's (delete as appropriate) English (or insert your mother tongue) improves, but your Chinese doesn't.

If one person's language ability isn't up to much, then it gets really *old* for the other person, especially when you wish to have deep conversations, and / or discussions about thoughts or feelings.

A girlfriend / boyfriend does help, like a language exchange partner, but don't blind yourself to the obvious pitfalls that unlike a language exchange partner, you will *need* to properly communicate with girlfriend / boyfriend. It's usually best in a language that you both can speak reasonably well.

I would say that the most efficient method of learning Chinese is through studying either through classes or a private tutor, and then putting in the required effort yourself [homework]. Unless your 4 or 5 years old (in which case you're far too young to be thinking about finding a partner), then you will *need* to put in the effort.

Practice with your girlfriend / boyfriend by all means, but resist the temptation to treat them like an unpaid 24/7 Chinese tutor.

Related forum threads

Login to post