GoKunming Forums

China tourist visa in Vientiane??

jamtin (2 posts) • 0

I'm also interested in the lastest info on this subject. I'm in Jinghong and need to switch to an L visa shortly - I think Chiangmai or Laos are my best options from here and suspect that I may find Vientiane cheaper to get to and stay in (and explore) while I await the new stamp in passport. Would love to hear if that really is the case and if the visa application is still running smoothly in both places. Thanks for the good info.

Asanee (117 posts) • 0

Good to know that the Chinese embassy in Vientiane can issue visas quickly (for an extra fee). The Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai is efficient and no problems getting a visa with the right paperwork, but foreigners can't get fast service there so you have to wait for 4 business days. Since I have some business in Vientiane soon anyway, I like the idea of the 1 or 2 day turnaround (for an extra fee of course), but I would have to get my paperwork changed since I am applying for a Z visa and the paperwork says apply in Thailand.

Flights from Kunming to Vientiane are operated by China Eastern and Lao Airlines, the latter being my choice. Flights operated by Lao Airlines are usually operated by the new A320, as was the case last year for my flights, but sometimes ATRs are substituted. Go to www.laoairlines.com to book (prices quoted in USD and payment charged to your card in USD through Bangkok). The bus takes up to 48 hours (apparently) and leaves from the northern bus station (although I have seen these buses parked at the Sanjiang Chinese market behind Vientiane airport too). Not sure if they can pick you up from your hotel, but probably you'll have to board at the bus station - book your ticket through a travel agency in town and they'll let you know.

Related forum threads

Login to post