GoKunming Forums

How can I get English Language Television TV T.V. ?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Internet streaming tv:
pps.tv

You MAY need to download the client (PC, not sure about OS X).

Not sure about the english content - haven't the patience to wade thru all the channels, but movies, sitcoms, etc etc - a channel surfer's delight - but you'll need high speed bandwidth.

RoyRoyoo (1 post) • 0

Kunming Satellite tv service for expats,www.hbocn.com

China Satellite TV & IPTV Services Center

Best Satellite TV provider in China

Choose your Favorite TV packages,better life stars from here !

www.hbocn.com

123go (145 posts) • 0

I'm dead to know, I want the whole live channel, not just some programms. Who has tried the channels listed here? How is this man's answer?

Jenevis (2 posts) • 0

HBOCN sounds promising, although their website looks like a scam job~

has anyone here tried HBOCN? if yes, is it any good? how many channels are there? how much does it cost?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Check the satellite's coverage before you sign up. Kunming is USUALLY on the fringe of most satellite coverage - so reception can be spotty to non-existent.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Nah, internet is not the way. Firstly, internet in China is slow as...you can barely watch anything from youtube even with a VPN...that's how slow it is (a show that is supposed to be an hour in length will take you 3 frustrating hours to download and by that time the VPN will disconnect). Also, a laptop isn't an alternative to a big screen TV where you can watch the EURO2012, other sporting events or just a good movie.

Virtually every hotel in SE Asia features English and other foreign language programming so I don't see why China should be any different and why we should "act" differently here in regards to something as basic and common as cable TV. In Nha Trang, Vietnam I counted some 20 foreign cable TV stations including sports stations (no Chinese ones though), although in Mui Ne, there were two Chinese language stations. Both cities have Russian channels though, to cater for the huge Russian tourist market.

I will try Jackchen's service or another one to see what I can receive here.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Internet in China isn't slow... internet in Kunming is slow!

In Guangzhou the internet I had at 2 different hotels (neither flash) was about 3 times the speed I get here. In HK (not going through the GFC I assume) the internet on one of the outlying islands was 10 times the speed I get here. And I aren't talking in generalities, I actually measured the speed using online speed testers.

Anyone know if there are any big infrastructure plans to put some more fibre through to Shenzhen/Guangzhou/Shanghai? Kunming desperately needs it. The speed here is pants, I assume because we have a small pipe for too many people.

Related forum threads

Login to post