GoKunming Forums

Beware US Consulate Chengdu

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

JJ
Embassies and consulates fall under the State Department (aka Department of State). EVERY government agency has their own "hotline" to report fraud, waste, and abuse - and you were obviously triple tapped.

Here's the link - I wish you success - but I suspect this will be more of an ant trying to eat an elephant situation.

oig.state.gov/hotline/

Best regards - If a cup of Java and some boring conversation will help assuage your infuriation - drop me a line - joe's on me.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

One dynamic that may have been missed.

The rejections may have been carried out by low level local employees.
As an American citizen, and not a local applicant, It would be worth appealing to the American consular staff directly.

MR.GPA (2 posts) • 0

Local employees don't get to make decisions on things like granting a visa or rejecting the applications. At least, not at Chengdu. They get to be the ushers, wearing uniforms with American flag on it, and yelling at their fellow citizens with a vulgar Chengdu dialect. (I consider their dialect vulgar, just as they consider ours vulgar.)

The PLA soldiers standing next to them are not much better either. Projecting a cavalier attitude toward everyone who looks yellow. Defying their own kind, while bowing to those who do not need to wait in line (the Yankees. Duh...). (also, don't take it literally, they don't actually bow to anyone.)

I am aware that these could be some scurrilous accusations to many good people there, but it is a faithful rendition of what I have observed while waiting in the shorter line to renew my F-1 visa last summer.

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

The only ones I ever talked with were American State Dept employees. The only "locals" with whom I had contact just gave me directions as to where to go.

laila (4 posts) • 0

I had tried applying for a US visa but was rejected 4 times in my home country.. Reason being my mother is a green card holder in the States.Apparently, I do not have strong ties in my home country compared to America. What???? Does that mean that I can never visit my mother???????? No matter how hard i tried, i was told that unless my status changes, i won't be granted a US visa. Status change???? Does that mean that I need to get married just to get a visa to the States???? totally illogical... My mother has been living in the States for over 20 years and not once had I been to the States... US is not a choice of place of living for me but I would like to visit my mother. A few years back, she went for a major surgery. I tried applying for a visa to visit her and planned to stay 2-3 weeks to take care of her... Guess what the officer at the US embassy told me??? " why don't you ask your mum to come back ( to my own country) and have the surgery here?? That way you don't have to go over to America and you can take care of her here??".... Dumb.. pure dumb lame answers... I have never felt so small, so unfairly treated till then...Yet US is promoting human rights????? Equality????
Lately,I have been thinking of applying for the US visa at Chengdu office as i have been living in China for a few years now. I do not have any contacts in the US embassy.... i wonder if they will be more compassionate and grant me a visa?? My status has not changed, i am still single...

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

laila - obviously, the US state dept will allow terrorists into the country to learn how to fly large passenger jets into heavily populated commercial buildings, but is stingy when it comes to visitor visas (you should have used a travel agency - they have more "pull" with the embassies).

So, obviously illegal immigration is perceived as a greater threat to national security than terrorists - according to the informal small sampling size witnessed here in KM. Since it sounds ridiculous - that sounds about right for the current state of our government.

In case you're interested, our government officials have a known history of voting for various taxes for we little people, while simultaneously voting to exempt themselves from these taxes...I'm just saying...

laila (4 posts) • 0

Since 9/11, tour agencies do not in anyway help to obtain US visa. One must personally apply for the visa and when successful, join a tour or travel by oneself to the States.
It is a very sad situation because I DO NOT have any intention of overstaying in America yet I am denied of my rights to visit my mother.
I am beginning to think if I should even give any thoughts about reapplying.
Is it better to apply in Beijing?
I wonder what happened to the girls ( JJ and Janice), whether they managed to get a visa ?

laila (4 posts) • 0

Since 9/11, tour agencies do not in anyway help to obtain US visa. One must personally apply for the visa and when successful, join a tour or travel by oneself to the States.
It is a very sad situation because I DO NOT have any intention of overstaying in America yet I am denied of my rights to visit my mother.
I wonder what happened to the girls ( JJ and Janice's friends), whether they managed to get a visa ?

laila (4 posts) • 0

I wonder what happened to the girls ( JJ and Janice's friends), whether they managed to get a visa ?

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Laila - - the girls did NOT get visas - - despite all money spent doing everything right and traveling back and forth to Chengdu.

We are now being totally ignored by ALL US officials except Senator McCain.

Cheers - - JJ

Related forum threads

Login to post