GoKunming Forums

expat population in Kunming

sophisticate (11 posts) • 0

Uh oh... I usually find it counter productive to get into this kind of argument with people of faith. Like rpw37 said, they are immune to reason. However, I find it rather entertaining to watch.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I find Horsie's post insulting on so many levels. It reminds me of the classic "the non-believers have no morals" argument that religious people always use. The truth is that there are plenty of good, caring atheists working selflessly for NGOs all over the world. Religious people on the other hand tend to flock together in their own little gatherings where their childish beliefs are never questioned AND their motives are a mix of trying to get saved themselves, shanghai new slaves -sorry, believers- and to glow in circle-back-slappings and a rather amusing and just slightly concealed I-am-so-much-holier-than-thou feeling.

I know trying to talk reason to a believer is about as useful as kicking a boulder so I won't even try. I just want to say (since someone feels that we infidels mean Christianity when we talk religion) that Islam deserves even more ridicule that Christianity. After all you guys don't kill and maim people anymore. Apart from in Northern Ireland, Nigeria, Serbia, Mexico and the US and all the other places I can't think of right now. Yeah sorry I mention the States but unlike most of you guys I find it wrong to kill doctors. China might have gotten a few things wrong during the last 6 decades but the suppression of religion wasn't one of them.

Btw thanks to you guys most of my students think that all Westerners are Christians. Of course then I have to tell them that some of us are in fact capable of thinking for ourselves. Have a splendid weekend. Tell the Lord I probably won't stop by church on Sunday.

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

I'm so disappointed that not ONE person on this thread could pull

their heads out of their rears for a moment to recognize the awesome
Star Wars quote I posted...

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

First - - there is a God. I speak from personal experience (I'm not a missionary).
Second - - everyone has a right to their own opinion.
However, the "trashing" of each other is counter-productive.
Third - - I still don't understand why folks won't sign their name (real name) to things they say they profess.
Sincerely - - J.J. Fletcher

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Sorry JJ. Obviously I should have consulted with you before I began writing. When I was a kid the Tooth Fairy swapped a couple of my teeth with money (after they had fallen out of course, anything else would be rather cruel) so I speak from personal experience too when I say that there is indeed a Tooth Fairy.

Sometimes people see pink elephants when they drink. Does that mean they exist as well? What do you say? Alcohol is a sin? I seem to remember that Jesus made wine out of water. What's the point of that if afterwards he taught people not to drink it? Being a God and all he was supposed to be infallible so that doesn't make much sense. He was a God wasn't he? I never can get that part right. I mean, there is only one God but he is three different persons right? What about the "virgin" Mary? Isn't she supposed to be divine too? 500 million catholics prefer praying to her after all. But I guess she has to be excluded. After all if God impregnated his female self (Mary) through his alter ego the Holy Spirit and then gave birth to himself as Jesus who eventually died -or did he?- and then got reunited into himself in Heaven. I guess for the early Christians THAT was too weird so they stuck with 3 Gods who are really just 1. Religion is so very confusing. My name is Nicolas.

And to answer your "counter-productive" thing. No it isn't. As long as there is a chance of freeing just one of the slaves we should try to do it. After all you guys indoctrinate millions of innocent children to believe in a bunch of absurd lies on a daily basis. It's only fair that we speak out against this horrible practice of psychological mutilation. Religion prey on the weak. It's disgusting frankly. Maybe I will stop by church on Sunday after all. I could use a good laugh.

TheSwedishGuy (64 posts) • 0

Hell is a modern christian invention though so I guess we still have to see what happens and since the bible was compiled 300 years after Jesus death by a Roman emperor it does seem to lack some credibility don't you think? Keep on telling the same stories for 300 years and they tend to become somewhat exaggerated...

People beleive in all kinds of things. My Chinese family beleives that taking anti-biotics will cure a cold, a 7 months old baby should be served spicy and salty food so he doesn't get diarrhea, a baby should drink a glucose solution between meals since its healthier than formula...

Just saying that people tends to beleive in anything, as long as there are people that agrees with you.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.