GoKunming Forums

expat population in Kunming

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

I realize that there is no way for anyone (other than the PSB and Immigration dept.m perhaps) to produce actual statistics on this.

What I'm seeking instead is just guesses as to the average overall expat population in Kunming at any given time. My criteria for expat would exclude any tourists, but include foreign students studying for at least a year. It includes those gainfully employed, as well as Kunming's resident "retired population".

When describing Kunming to friends on the outside, I want to be able to throw out some ballpark figure - 1000? 5000? 10,000?

For those really willing, you can try to break it down by nationality.
Which nationality has the biggest population in Kunming?
Thai? Lao? Burmese? American? Brit?

ArabicArabic (13 posts) • 0

In Kunming the biggest Nationality Population are Americans, I am afraid they are here not for study or work but for preaching and home churches .PSB knew about that but they close eyes on them now but who know for how long !!.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Hopefully they'll get kicked out soon. Religion is a plague. I wouldn't mind if someone else took over running the Wicker Basket in the north though. On topic: I've heard the number around 5000 before but it's anyone's guess.

no way (104 posts) • 0

have also heard the number 5000, about half of which
are from other asian countries. largest asian population
is said to be korean.

mkunming (1 post) • 0

From Korean friend I know that there are at least 5,000 Koreans in Yunnan, most of them in Kunming. This is tiny compared to the number of Koreans in many more developed cities on the East coast where Korean can number in the hundreds of thousands.

The number of westerners in Kunming and Yunnan is tiny compared to the number of Asian foreigners here. Just look at the universities in Kunming where the vast majority of foreign students are from south-east Asia.

Biggest population here must easily be Korean or one of the the south-east Asian countries. Definitely not a western country.

ArabicArabic (13 posts) • 0

Danmairen they make it look like that .But if you have your believe in your hear without effecting other people way of life it will be fine.But they are not they mixed the way of life and paint it with cross!!.They even import some poor people from Asian and African countries and make to them fake companies to have residence permits .then ask them to reward the church by traveling through counties and town to preach.I think this is illegal and damn thing and that's why the visa regulations always more tougher.I just wonder why the hell they just travel to preach and not stay in their own countries to preach their own people?

The Dear Leader (5 posts) • 0

That would never happen here. We club the religious and foreigners to death. Don't even think about what we do to religious foreigners! All I wanna say is that it involves a spoon, a pair of chopsticks and rotten kimchi,,let's leave it at that. The Dear Leader declares this thread at it's end. Move on.

sophisticate (11 posts) • 0

Sounds more like Kim Jong Il than a member of the Chinese Communist Party.

@ Danmairen: I completely agree with you on this. Religion is unhealthy. I would boycott the Wicker Basket if the food wasn't so goddamned good.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.