GoKunming Forums

Kunming sucks the life out of me...

darcy (14 posts) • 0

there are some valid comments here from the Kunming sux side, the traffic and road manners are appalling an opinion shared by Chinese locals that travel. the food is greasy cr@ and service is often poor i prefer to eat at home despite being invited to the "best" places to eat. that some ppl can say it easy to get around and a comment about the sky! the air is not clean. I am surprised at the amount of personal comments attacking other ppl. I dont speak Chinese apart from basic few words, but it not to hard to get any place i want or buy a bike. you ppl are joking.. maybe there is nothing to do here given the caliber of the conversation here we must be really bored to bother writing this crap.

gaoxing (63 posts) • 0

I did! If I go back to mainland China, I will probably go to Chengdu. I think that city will be better for me.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@gaoxing
I think you may be in for a mixed surprise.

CONS
1. Chengdu is huge (11 million) so getting around will definitely be more painful than Kunming.
2. The Sichuan dialect can arguably sound rather harsh - perfect for the military though - and there's a VERY strong military presence in Sichuan.
3. Weather is atrocious - mostly due to heavy pollution. Chengdu is rife with heavy industry. Also, (trivia fact) Chengdu has less sunshine (clear blue skies) than London. It's almost always overcast for some reason.
4. EXPENSIVE - the GDP per capita in Chengdu is roughly TWICE Kunming - expect housing, food, entertainment, beer, coffee, etc to be expensive.
5. Earthquakes...

PROS
1. Sichuan and especially Chengdu women are reknowned for their beauty.
2. Lots and lots and lots of ancient history - places to go, things to see.
3. It's not as hideous as Chongqing - which is a furnace in the summer.
4. They are the sister website to gokunming - gochengdoo.com (shameless plug for the gokm crew).
5. The shamelessly rude and aloof assholes from Salvadors aren't there - you can look forwards to meeting new shameless assholes.

Enjoy - hope you find what you're looking for - and just as importantly, hopefully what you're looking for wants to be found by you...

JessicaBaker (78 posts) • 0

Ummm can you seriously not cook for yourself? eating out is unhealthy any ways. cook your own food! it is easy to learn and you can cook whatever you want. i've lived in kunming for 13 years and i enjoy it here :). dont be so depressed cooking is really fun! just learn for yourself and look for atleast one or two restaurants you enjoy. Muslim restaurants usually have really good chinese food (they usually have big green mosque looking roofs). the noodles here are also super yummy.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you want good international food, and civilisation go to Hong Kong. But you cannot afford to live on a teachers salary.

If you want acceptable international food, and affordable (just) housing go to Shanghai, and the women there are not as aloof as HK. You will earn twice as much money teaching but you will work much harder. The girls are easier to bed, but they will take it out of you in other ways.

If you want cheap, and not poor service from bad western cafes, go to the hinterland. Very cheap food, ents, and accommodation. Environment can be ok. Getting around a town of 50 000 people is easy, walk. No other expats to annoy you, and no cafes to complain about.

Shoei (78 posts) • 0

gao xing,

i would like to ask you, how long have you been here in kunming? its sad that im hearing this but making new friends and hanging out wouldnt hurt right.

about the food, i dont know where you eat but dont generalize everything because where your coming from, it might be that the bacteria your getting your body havent got it yet. what im saying is settle down and dont be such a whiner!

there is a lot of restaurants/cafe etc here which are really good, but if your picky or i dont know ahhh dont want to spend then better do your own cooking or eat what you can just pay. no offense dude. there is really a lot of alternatives.

lastly get a life, look for people you can hang out, sports, chat etc.

oh another thing, your in another country try understanding their culture before saying anything. as im concern your already making yourself look stupid.

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

This is an old thread. GaoXing has moved on.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

He last posted at the end of May.
Although he may be trolling from afar.

Ref Bacteria.
The last time I had a bad case I thought was food poisoning, reading around it may have been a protozoa in the water.

willow33 (9 posts) • 0

AS for the clothes dryer,here are some suggestions:

1- For the sake of this planet, save some energy,man! Is the sunshine not strong enough for your clothes to dry in Kunming??

2- Ok, if u still insist on machine dryer. here is the machine: go buy this model: www.suning.com/[...]

Boshe washer/dryer 2-in-1!

So,just bring your money and get the stuff, man!

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.