GoKunming Forums

Kunming sucks the life out of me...

gaoxing (63 posts) • 0

Kunming is such as depressing city...

Every time I eat Chinese food I s*** it all out 10 minutes later.

The food around here sucks. How much rice can you eat? Really? No wonder these people around here look like sticks. Rice with a tiny bit of meat mixed in doesn't fill me up.

I bet if I was in Manila or Quezon City, I would be able to find something to eat that fills me up.

If I stay here much longer I am going to look like I was in a Nazi Concentration Camp.

I also don't like the fact that there are no clothes dryers in Kunming. I hate leaving my clothes out to dry.

God this place sucks....

putonghua73 (34 posts) • 0

Something was a little missing in this post, my dear 高兴, that took the shine of your comedic posts (normally 'pure gold').

I'd say you need to work on your comparatives re: comparing Kunming / China food to say Manila or Quezon in terms of displaying wilful ignorance.

The "Concentration Camp" remark would work better if you reworked it as 'Concentration Camp skinny'.

I think the reason this post failed to live up to your previous standards is that I suspect you actually enjoy living here [Kunming].

Do you have a Twitter account? I'd actually bother to create an account to follow you!

Keep it up, but you need to spend so time reworking your material.

Cheers!

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

I have to agree in some ways thugh I do not hate KM and I do not think that is what you are saying either. But it is sort of depressing. I lived for three eyars in Beijing and now three years here and so I have some basis for comparison.

> The food here is too spicy and oily. KM people cannot cook. Of course I have found some nice little places to eat of course and I mean in general. All they can do here is BBQ on a stick and drench everything in red pepper or hua jiao. Also, if I say, in Chinese, that I do nto want spicy food that is what I mean. I do not want the cook to add red pepper becasue he thinks that is the only way it can be eaten. Any meal of BBQ or fired potatoes here is much oiler than a Big Mac meal at McDoanals, and my students eat that stuff all day whereas I do to McDonald once every 2 months, yet they are convinced I eat more junk food than they do.

2) The taxi system here is simply stupid and the taxi drivers (well all drivers) ahve no regard for traffic laws. They do not seem to know what a red light is unless there is a cop parked there... who would not do anything anyway.

3) The service here is abyssal. Grumpy, moody staff who cannot even look up from their cell phones when they wait on you. Pathetic at best.

4) Compared to Beijing (and it pretty abd there too) the problems with spitting here is much worse, as is the issue with grown men pissing anywhere they want.

5) The public restrooms in Beijing are free. Here you have pay and they stink more and have filthy floors.

6) How can people here be expected to drive when they can barely walk down the sidewalk. I have bumped into more people here who walk in a daze or simply decide to change course directly into than I have in my entire life total anywhere else.

7) And not to focus only Kunmingers the foreigners here are all stuck up and aloof. that whole crowd of alcoholic lao wai at Salvadors and the French Cafe are as rude and beligerent as any of the locals. Would it f**king hurt someone to say hi back! A woman went through such ludicrous extremes one time leaving a juice bar to make sure she did not look me in the eye or risk my nodding at her or saying hi. Jesus. Maybe she thought I'd ask her out or want to borrow money or something.

Ah that is all. I do not hate it here... but it can suck sometimes. And one more thing, the next I say it is cold on a gray, rainy winter day and I am wrapped in and shivering coats and scarves and some local goes "oh no, Kunming is the springtime city, never cold" I am going to push them in front of a bus!

Bill

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Gaoxing,

Here are a few pointers to make your stay in Kunming better:
The food: sounds like you're eating cheap fried rice. You're right, it does suck. The sole criterion for choosing a decent Chinese restaurant is crowd size. If the place is half empty at meal time, don't go there, no matter how clean and spiffy it looks. Also, it's near impossible to get a good Chinese meal for one. Find some food buddies.

Night life: Kundu=bad idea. If you want to do the club thing, try out all the bars in the back of Jinma Biji square. It's not quality entertainment, but the drinks are cheaper.
There's also plenty of live music around, with quality Chinese acts at Laowo and Don't go, and good mixed stuff at the Hump, Halfway House and Movie Bar. Hopefully someone will pipe in with more input on that front.

Other stuff to do: I don't know, check out the exhibitions at the Loft Artists Community or Cat's Cradle, buy bike and hit up the surrounding hills, go to trivia night at Chapter One, go rock climbing with local enthusiasts in Fumin, join the local skaters at #88 the Spot, there's plenty to do.

Kunming isn't a world class city, but the weather is good, it's easy to get around, and there are a few million people here. You get out of it what you put into it.

Some of the old-school expats may be a bit stuck up, but a lot of them are tired of making a new batch of friends every few months just to see them go home at the end of the holiday/semester.

So anyway, give this place a shot. If not, then go find your place. It's hard to empathize with someone who can't have a good time in Kunming.

Nick11 (4 posts) • 0

With this attitude I feel you must be a blast to hang out with. I am shocked you have not met someone. I hope you find a great place that suits you,but with your negative outlook on life I think you will be hard-pressed in finding this "ideal" location you are seeking.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

Godwin's law says "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1" basically rendering all further discussion fairly pointless.
Well done gaoxing for managing to do this so early on in the thread. Is there really any point continuing?

YerethYereth (110 posts) • 0

Gaoxing and BillDan, I would like to point you to www.elong.net and www.ctrip.com, where you can get cheap tickets to fly... well, to a different place in China. Ah yes, and from several other places in China it's also easy to leave the country entirely!

Speaking of people stuck up people; those complaining the most about the place they're in classify quite nicely as what you like to describe the more content expats with.

I personally get sick of people coming to China just to complain how life and values here are 'inferior' to those back at 'home', where ever home might be, while they're really just different. What makes you move to the other side of the world, just to become a hater of the place? Calling yourself 'gaoxing' at least shows you have some sense of humour, admittedly. :)

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.