GoKunming Forums

English version of Windows 7?

Tiger (66 posts) • 0

It seems that today's writers haven't read this whole thread.

@noway: Don't be so sure.
@mailman: Did you say 'junkie.org' - you needn't say more.
@mingdao: Linux is great.
@Everyoneelse: Get a Mac. ;-)

no way (104 posts) • 0

i'm sure. op asked if anyone bought a computer here
with english windows installed.

i'm sure i bought a computer. i'm sure it had windows.
and i'm pretty sure it was an english version.

Pierre (46 posts) • 0

On the one bigger computer market which is on the corner of Yieryii Dajie and "the street that goes towards the zoo" (sorry, forgot the name) you can buy copies of windows which looked very legitimate. I saw at least Windows XP home (around 300 rmb) and professional (800 rmb) there, so you would need to check out if they sell Windows 7. The shop is on the the top floor.
On the other hand, while beeing in China I would not use Windows7 again (recently put it on my computer), as there are several compability issues with: Vpn Clients and Chinese software (which is written for Windows XP).
My two cents: Get an original Windos XP /OR/ Get a so called "vanilla" copy of Windows XP (NEVER!!!! this GhostXP they sell here and almost everybody uses on his computer) and get your hands on an original Windows XP license key. Check your laptop or the back of your computer, maybe there is one taped under there, ask a friend with a laptop to use his key (as these are volume keys a lot of people actually use the same key). Then you need another key from the internet to be able to install it (as you version will probably won't work directly with so called "license volume keys") but after that you will skip this illegal key and change it to the "real" key with an official tool published by Microsoft (aren't they kind?). And voila, you have an official Windows which can update to every service pack without any flaws and for 100% will pass every WGA.

PS: New Ubuntu 10.4 is also nice if you wan't to go OpenSource. If you need your computer for browsing the internet, writing emails, Word, Excel... (but no Adobe software -even not through wine-), it's definitely worth a look!!!

Good luck

Tiger (66 posts) • 0

@noway: "pretty sure". Ah, so you're not absolutely certain. Well, next year, when the waranty has expired, think about this as the problems begin.

Remember, PC's aren't manufactured by Microsoft. I know you know. That's why Pierre knows, from experience, what he's talking about. Right, Pierre? ;-)

Everyone has experienced the following: PC problem - you call the manufacturer - they tell you to call Microsoft. Software problem - you call Microsoft - they tell you to call the PC manufacturer. That's assuming that there is a telephone number.

Of course, there's Linux, Ubuntu, et al, but only Apple manufactures both the Mac and the operating system software - seems a logical way to go. No?

Good luck. Seriously.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

Windows 7 Professional has a built-in XP emulator. If you don't want to buy Professional you can just run VirtualBox, or do a dual boot install of Windows XP and 7.

I've never seen a computer sold in Kunming with a legal English copy of Windows 7. Your best bet would be to call Dell China, Lenovo, Samsung, or whoever and order it directly. You can also purchase Windows 7 online at Microsoft's website and download it from there.

If you really want to be geeky you can buy an Apple computer, install Windows 7 and Linux using boot camp... yeah. Then when you hear a bunch of geeks arguing about Windows 7, Linux, and OS X you can just say.. who gives a shit mate? I can run all 3... even Apple computers are relatively cheap these days :P

Also Apple no longer manufactures computers(not that they ever have for a long long time), but since they switched to Intel CPUs the components in Apple computers and "PC" computers are nearly the same. In fact it's not too hard to install OS X on a non-apple computer.

The only thing people generally have problems with these days are graphics card drivers if they play the latest games, and shitty software "PC" brands(*stares at Dell*) pre-load on their computer to make a quick buck.

Pierre (46 posts) • 0

As we are going off topic here anyways, I'll give you two more cents of mine.
Apple or PC? Easy answer: Pc's are easier to use (did I just started a flamewar?) while Apples are just flashier. Or, lets put it this way (and I speak out of my own experience here, I have an English version of Win7 and Dualboot it with Linux for the day my windows goes dark).

Do you want to drive a a lowered Porsche 911 in the bumpy streets of Kunming or would you rather take an old Landrover to cruise through town. Of course you could always take the girlie (sorry, flashy) NewBeetle with your pink seat covers which you think are sooo cute (flashy) that you show them to everybody (and everybody is so annoyed by the second time) or go by bike and be the fastest everywhere; Though you'll sweat a little bit before you're trained enough.

Think about it.... it sounds strange but I honestly advise everybody reading this to use a 10 (ten!!!) year old piece of software rather than Windows 7. Not that it's not good... China is just not compatible with this Windows 7 yet.

And now you can it me... :-)

no way (104 posts) • 0

i said 'pretty sure' it's an english version of windows.
the lack of chinese characters gave it away.

and yes, i did consider buying an apple. truly i did.
but in the end, i decided i'd rather buy a computer.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

I bought a dell computer recently in China. The sales people said they don't provide the English version. Though I bought a cheaper laptop where you can't customise much, except the color. Their "business" computers might be a different story.

However, I did find out you can get a multilingual version (Chinese and English) from Dell in Hong Kong.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

right on no way. If you need a computer, make it a PC. Apple is only a fashion piece (hand swoosh jester here).

Related forum threads

Login to post