GoKunming Forums

English version of Windows 7?

sequin (8 posts) • 0

Has anyone been able to buy a computer here with an English version of Windows installed? If so, where and what did you buy?

Thanks,
sk

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

You dont have to worry about the language if you purchase Windows 7, because you can easily switch to another language!

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

thats only true if you buy the ultimate version. home basic, home premium and business do not offer this.
There is a way around it using something called Vistalizator from www.froggie.sk/ but who knows if MS may do something to block that in future.

TTChopper (8 posts) • 0

I have a friend on the North side of Kunming who runs a computer sales/repair shop for the Korean community. He speaks English well enough and charges around 100RMB to do a re-install of windows. He has an English version of Windows 7. So if you buy a computer with Chinese software, he can sort you out with English.

well of course you can get those kind of English windows everywhere. However if you want a real one that is not going to be bricked with the next service pack its probably worth sticking with the legal one and using something like Vistalizator or buying your computer in Hong Kong with English windows.

Another option is Dell. When we bought our computers for the office from the dell china website there was an option for English windows but that was a couple of years ago.

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

This an interesting thread for me and maybe for you, after you've read this.

Some years ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop in Chengdu with a Chinese Windows. Even with its Word's language ability, there were often problems. So, I took it back to the store for the English Windows installation There were still problems, and a very-well qualified computer engineer explained that I was bound to have problems because: 1. The Toshiba was manufactured in Japan for the Chinese market. 2. The English Windows came from Singapore. and 3. English Word came from Canada. Thus, things will never work correctly because the motherboard was programmed for the Chinese market.

I, now, have an Apple ... Yeah! But I'd love to read some feedback.

I'm afraid that sounds like nonsense. There is no correlation whatsoever between motherboards and regional software.

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

It was explained to me as firmware settings linked to regional software. I had to accept this due to my ignorance of programming. And I did suffer occasional problems with downloads of patches, etc. that the best mice and men couldn't overcome and who seemed to accept my firmware story (or was it just a rumour?).
Anyway, as I said before, it no longer matters, as the PC is only used by my wife for reading e-mail.

mingdao (40 posts) • 0

All these issues -- validation, language settings, cost -- will be eliminated if you use a Linux OS, rather than a Microsoft OS. The Linux OS will run faster, not get worms, trojans, virus, etc. It will not cost you any money to install, nor will it cost you money to update. You will get free patches for bugs. Microsoft will charge you a lot of money for Windows 7, which is only a bug release to fix Vista.

Be free, little netizens! Change to Linux today!

no way (104 posts) • 0

computer shop across from minority uni.
look for the big lenovo sign.
got a desktop with english windows, word, excel,
photoshop installed.

Related forum threads

Login to post