GoKunming Forums

Kunming Farmers' Market

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

On Sunday, May 23rd between 12 and 6pm, Cat's Cradle Cafe and Green Kunming will host Kunming's first Farmers' Market. The market will feature vendors from Yunnan's local organic producers in addition to homemade treats and breads. If all goes well, I'm hoping this grows into something with a life of its own to become a weekly event.

If you are interested in selling your own products, please let me know on this thread. For everyone else, we hope you can come to support Kunming's organic community. There will be drinks and treats and we're hoping to get some live music kicking too.

Cat's Cradle is located at 2 Dingzi Po. You can check it out on Google Maps if you use GoKunming's search engine.

Cheers

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

Hey, I saw in the classified that the market will also collect unwanted clothes to be donated to a local non-profit called Heart to Heart. They'll take anything? I have tons of clothes that I don't use anymore.

thatguyted (34 posts) • 0

Is there a reason why they wouldn't want synthetic materials? Are the poor refusing to wear them???

Are they selling the donated materials, or what?

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Enquiring minds want to know......

And this makes it tough for me, as I only wear rayon and polyester!

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

I'm not exactly sure why they only want natural fiber clothing, but what I can tell you is that this is a non-profit run by one of the leading professors in Yunnan University's Social Services Department.

They work mainly with migrant families, the ones you see taking out recyclables from our trash, and teach them to rework used clothing to make a new product that they can sell to increase their incomes. It's a cool idea and they will be displaying some of their work at the market.

sanyiseul (104 posts) • 0

there are actually some missionaries who do some good work.

jerseydog (2 posts) • 0

@ sanyiseul. The non-profit that runs this development project is non-religious and purely Chinese. Not to say that the other kind is bad, but this one is not the other kind.

chris (144 posts) • 0

nice turnout today and some seriously tasty eats... thanks to the organizers and suppliers!!!

Related forum threads

Login to post