GoKunming Forums

Banned Dogs?

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

Anyone have an idea of which dogs are banned here in Kunming? I'm starting to see a number of Pit-Bulls and crossbred Pits and other large dogs that their owners can't even begin to control.

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

The link to the article is dead. A search at the website(english) turns up nothing. Anybody have any ideas?

piers (144 posts) • 0

There are 30 odd breeds banned in Kunming. I think that if you go to a vet they have posters depicting the banned ones on the wall.

The obvious ones are on the list, Pitbulls, Bulldogs, Rottweilers, Tibetan Mastiffs plus a few bizarre ones; Afghan Hounds, one that looks like a Red/Irish Setter and another fairly innocuous breed. According to the list there is a banned breed called the Kunming Farmer Dog. Only in China could the government invent a breed just to ban it!

Sadly they didn't ban small yappy rodent-like mutts.

The ban is not enforced stringently but I had a visit by no less than 5 coppers who wanted to inspect my doggy passports. I think they react to complaints rather than being out looking for banned breeds.

From what I've seen, when you take your dog into be registered and pay your registration fee (Dog Tax) they police look at your dog and compare it to the poster. So long as your dog doesn't look like a banned breed they'll go ahead and register it. If it looks anything like a banned one then they'll refuse. They can however be persuaded and as far as I could tell they know little to nothing about dogs.

sanyiseul (104 posts) • 0

sorry, had the link on my HP, but doesnt work anymore.

The banned dogs are:

Do Khyi
Pitbulls
Dogo Argentino
Fila Brasiliero
Tosca Fighting Dog
Central Asian Ovtcharka

Chinese Chongqing Dog
Barsoi
Bullhead ( but this is according to wikipedia a fish......)
German Shepherd
Mastiff
Cane Corso Italiano
Great Dane
Caucasian Shepherd Dog
Mastino Napoletano
Stafforsdshire

Afghan Hound
English Pointer
Weimaraner
Setter
Bloodhound
Basset
English Bulldog
Akita Inu
Bedlington Terrier
Kerry Blue Terrier
Newfoundland
Pharaoh Hound
Kunming Dog
Doberman Pinscher
Rottweiler
Belgium Shepherd Dog

slabo (55 posts) • 0

Kunming Dog is banned in Kunming? ok...
Easiest way to solve a problem, just say no. Banned, banned banned. Instead of encouraging public awareness on the correct way to raise a dog.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Bassets, Bloodhounds, Great Danes and German shepherds are banned? How stupid is that. All 4 breeds are with just a little training great family dogs. Seems like they've heard that the big ones can be dangerous so they just banned them all but how does the basset fit into that? And why allow those sha peis without their bad reputation for aggression?

JonathanMiller (76 posts) • 0

I plan to get an Alaskan Malamute. I don't see them on the list and they do not look like any of the dogs on the list - so good.

I am speaking with a few foreign breeders about importing a Malamute. Does anyone know any Chinese breeders that have Alaskan Malamutes?

piers (144 posts) • 0

You can definitely buy Alaskans in Kunming and I'd guess the best place to go would be the market on Jinhua Pulu.

Coincidentally, I am looking to get a new dog and was thinking of looking for an unwanted one (you'd be surprised how many people take their sick dogs to the vet and then abandon them). I asked my vet whether she knew of any such dogs and she told me she has either a husky or an alaskan (it's slipped my mind) that somebody dumped with her.

If you'd be interested in getting this dog I'd be happy to put you in touch with her to see if it's still there. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about the dog's age, gender, condition as I never asked. The vet's do expect people to pay for the medical bills of the dog though.

JonathanMiller (76 posts) • 0

Piers -

Thank you for the post.

I think it is great to rescue dogs, but I have two small children and would prefer that they start with the dog as a puppy.

I will head out to Jinhua Pulu and see what is there.

Jonathan

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.