GoKunming Forums

Bird watching in Kunming/ Yunnan

emmi1 (8 posts) • 0

Does anybody know anything about bird watching here? I am living in Kunming and I would love to get into bird watching. Yunnan is supposed to be an excellent place for it. I am a novice so I would really like to meet some people who know what they are talking about or get in touch with a group. Please let me know if you have any ideas/ leads.
Thanks

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Hi Emmi
We're often in the countryside and on the mountain tops, the kind of birds we search are soaring birds, birds of prey, they seem to be increasing in population. I keep an eye out for them because they fly the same kinds of weather conditions we fly.

I found a new place 2 months ago with a few ospreys or eagles. Most common here is the red tail hawks..I'm not a birdwatcher but if you want to come along for excusions contact me. mike4g_air@yahoo.ca

AlexN (8 posts) • 0

at mike4g_air: I am also a birder and might be interested in joining one of your excursions if you are still going to places where raptors can be found. Ospreys are especially interesting to watch (particularly when fishing). Would you mind telling me where you guys saw them?

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Hi Alex..

Xi Shan has a few big birds soaring, saw them regularly last year and this year.

Last friday I saw a huge eagle?? bird of prey

We are going to Xi Shan this tuesday and wensday, there should be room for you..

I havent seen any at Fu Xian Hu nor Dali..creepy quiet in the sky considering the lakes are full of fish..

I try to find info from older locals if they used to see birds of prey but my language isnt that good.

Other places I've flown the vulchures, eagles, hawks ect just come over and play...here is a few pics I've had a chance to get as they flew with me for some time.

Nepal is just loaded, it's not uncomon to go up in a thermal with 2 to 6 birds, we often use them as visual markers for the thermals.

Tagong
paraglideyunnan.smugmug.com/[...]

Nepal

Related forum threads

Login to post